Buying Advice Rwd or fwd

Shaiss

Forum Newbie
Threads
My lawn has a slight slope to it from front to back. .3acre total. I'm not sure how to judge the angle. I would guesstimate that in about 50ft there's a difference of 6-12" front to back. Again just a slight incline.

When using the neighbors push mower I did feel the difference going up and down.

So my question is. When buying a mower how steep of a grade is max for a fwd. Note that my terrain is fairly smooth. No big bumps or little hills.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the wonderful LMF....

It would be ideal if you could try each to see the drive you prefer... but that's not easy to arrange, so it will likely end up with everyones experience...
If you had very steep inclines I would favor the rear drive, but with a very mild pitch like you have, either will work well for you... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My lawn has a slight slope to it from front to back. .3acre total. I'm not sure how to judge the angle. I would guesstimate that in about 50ft there's a difference of 6-12" front to back. Again just a slight incline.

When using the neighbors push mower I did feel the difference going up and down.

So my question is. When buying a mower how steep of a grade is max for a fwd. Note that my terrain is fairly smooth. No big bumps or little hills.

I can easily mow a 20 degree slope with my FWD pushers IF the grass is dry. Your slope is so slight is barely qualifies, UNLESS you bag a lot of wet grass, which would quickly unload the front wheels of a FWD pusher. I never bag on a slope anyhow.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd say JD is right on the money - but I'd go further, and say if you're going to bag at ALL, I'd stay away from FWD. If you just use the chute or mulch, it really doesn't matter IMHO.

LandN

Threads

In mowing slight inclines or flat ground and keeping the mower on all 'fours' , i would say there is little or no difference in fwd or rwd... but if you have any places to mow around such as tight areas around flower beds ,around trees,or any place where you have to.."do a wheelie" i would give the advantage to the rwd,simply because you are using the power of the 'rwd' to go forward and not have to push the mower unpropelled with the fwd in the air.