Running thick oil in an old lawnmower

Papaw50

Threads
I've got a couple of old mowers people threw away, that I tinkered with and got running.
Both have what I believe to be bad piston rings.

I put thick gear oil in one, and motor honey in the other, and they stopped smoking.
In Texas, thick oil isn't a big deal like it might be up North.

They cut good.
Are they worth keeping or selling (as long as I tell the buyer about the thick oil)

Thanks,
Gary

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sure ... they will most likely keep going for Many more years, don't over heat or over rev them.

The older models were less horse power but more torque, they will endure a lot more abuse than the newer engines...

You will not get away with that on newer engines. :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
This reminds me of STP oil treatment which could be added to engine oil (mixed one part in eight -- roughly) and it would increase compression in an old engine. I haven't seen it for sale in years. Is it still around?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
This reminds me of STP oil treatment which could be added to engine oil (mixed one part in eight -- roughly) and it would increase compression in an old engine. I haven't seen it for sale in years. Is it still around?

I think the almost solid additive STP Oil Treatment is still around. But it is not in the metal bean can with the tear off top... it sure was heavy sticky & gooey:wink:... actually that is the stuff that I first had any luck with trying what this post is all about...
back in the early 70's I had several push mowers that ran almost straight STP... They were hard to start, usually fouled plugs... but they fan for years, cutting very rough and steep banks around a couple recreation lakes I had at the time... They would most likely have ran forever but the sand eroded the decks to paper thin... KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll look again for STP oil treatment -- maybe it's sold in a plastic bottle. I have seen STP gas treatment more recently so the brand is still around.

The Briggs engine on my Jacobsen mower could use a little help in the compression department.

jteuban

Threads
lucas oil treatment, is prob the best aditive I have ever used. It cleans as well as restores compression in any engine.

Check it out, you will love it

cubby

Threads
I'll look again for STP oil treatment -- maybe it's sold in a plastic bottle. I have seen STP gas treatment more recently so the brand is still around.

The Briggs engine on my Jacobsen mower could use a little help in the compression department.

It comes in a small blue plastic bottle, last time I got some was from Napa Auto Parts...cubby

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It comes in a small blue plastic bottle, last time I got some was from Napa Auto Parts...cubby

Thanks, cubby -- I'll look for that. It'll probably help the old Briggs engine.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads