RPM for a 22" residential push mower

GearHead36

Threads
Those cones usually has steps rings which poorly fit the blades so you could blade off center.

And hopefully the RPM meter is set to one count per revolution. But if the mower cuts well at 2900 rpm then just leave it at that. Usually you will have more Ft-Lb torque at the slower speed.
Is there a balancer out there that is better than the cones, but doesn't cost a fortune? I'm just a homeowner. I have several blades to maintain each year, but I don't have a need to balance hundreds of blades like a shop would, so I can't justify a top of the line balancer.

It's definitely NOT running at 5800, so I'm pretty sure the tach is giving the right readings.

GearHead36

Threads
What makes engine sound like they are running faster when they are not is a burned out muffler
Doubtful on this engine. Yes, it's 13 yrs old, but it's never been stored outside. As far as I can remember, it's never even been rained on.

kbowley

Threads
Is there a balancer out there that is better than the cones, but doesn't cost a fortune? I'm just a homeowner. I have several blades to maintain each year, but I don't have a need to balance hundreds of blades like a shop would, so I can't justify a top of the line balancer.

It's definitely NOT running at 5800, so I'm pretty sure the tach is giving the right readings.
Sure is, drive a 3" nail straight into a stud leaving about 2" exposed, wipe a bit of grease on it and it is a far more accurate balancer. It sounds fast because you're used to having it so low. 3200 is ideal.

GearHead36

Threads
Sure is, drive a 3" nail straight into a stud leaving about 2" exposed, wipe a bit of grease on it and it is a far more accurate balancer. It sounds fast because you're used to having it so low. 3200 is ideal.
Thanks for the balancer idea. The perception of high RPMs.... Yeah, I thought of that. The thing that causes me to think otherwise is the repair videos I watch. They all run the engines at about what mine is running now. 3200 is much faster than what those engines are running. Unless the video playback speed is off.

woodstover

Threads
Those cones usually has steps rings which poorly fit the blades so you could blade off center.

And hopefully the RPM meter is set to one count per revolution. But if the mower cuts well at 2900 rpm then just leave it at that. Usually you will have more Ft-Lb torque at the slower speed.

View attachment 68193
2800rpm looks to be the sweet spot

kbowley

Threads
Thanks for the balancer idea. The perception of high RPMs.... Yeah, I thought of that. The thing that causes me to think otherwise is the repair videos I watch. They all run the engines at about what mine is running now. 3200 is much faster than what those engines are running. Unless the video playback speed is off.
My Pleasure. Not sure why you perceive 3200 as high, they are set from the factory between 3000 and 3200. The governor spring gets fatigued over time and may need an adjustment. I'm thinking once you get the blade balanced so that it runs smoothly you will get used to it. My only other thought is that your tach is giving you an incorrect reading. Watch this video beginning at 3:20 into it and have a listen as he sets it for 3200 RPMs. Here is another at the 13:00 minute mark.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might be going in the wrong direction. If the blade has not be changed, the back wing may be worn or gone. If that is the case, your cut will deteriorate very quickly. Second, Toro is picky about using their blades for best cut.

GearHead36

Threads
My Pleasure. Not sure why you perceive 3200 as high, they are set from the factory between 3000 and 3200. The governor spring gets fatigued over time and may need an adjustment. I'm thinking once you get the blade balanced so that it runs smoothly you will get used to it. My only other thought is that your tach is giving you an incorrect reading. Watch this video beginning at 3:20 into it and have a listen as he sets it for 3200 RPMs. Here is another at the 13:00 minute mark.
Thanks for the video. His 2700 sounded a LOT like my 2750, so I'm pretty sure my tach is good.

GearHead36

Threads
You might be going in the wrong direction. If the blade has not be changed, the back wing may be worn or gone. If that is the case, your cut will deteriorate very quickly. Second, Toro is picky about using their blades for best cut.
A few years ago, I bought several Toro blades. I sharpen them a few times, but I swap them out for new when they get to looking too bad.