Rototiller rent or buy?

greenacre

Threads
Before I moved, a neighbor friend used to till my garden area for me so I have no idea whether to buy or rent. What are the pros and cons of either choice?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are only going to use it once or twice a year for a smal area and have a convenient rental place + a way to get it home and back on time -- maybe renting would make sense for you.
Usually the cost of a purchase will eventually be less than rental and you can use it any time you want at your leisure. I prefer to have my own.

It is up to you what will be best in your situation.

Madi

Threads
We only use one in the spring and the fall for a small patch of garden. We always share the cost with a neighbor and rent it over a weekend, it has worked for us for years.

greenacre

Threads
I hadn't thought of sharing the cost with a neighbor, thanks for that. I know I will only use it once per year, so I suppose rental would be a better choice if I can get someone to help me transport it.

Pika

Threads
If you have a neighbor who has one, and your soil isn't really rocky, you might even consider attempting to *borrow* one instead of renting OR buying. :wink:

greenacre

Threads
Where I live now, I don't know anyone well enough yet to borrow one. I guess I should get baking some chocolate chip cookies and make some new friends!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess I should get baking some chocolate chip cookies and make some new friends!

Now that will go a long way..:thumbsup:
I couldn't guess the number of garden spots I tilled just because some one asked...
AND toss in the threat of cookies, with coffee... were tilling...

I'm sure if you asked someone in your neighborhood if anyone has a rototiller, then ask that person... I'll bet you get it done for little or nothing. plus you may get some gardening tips added bonus... :smile:KennyV