riding mower keeps shutting off when blades are engaged

semimechanicman

Threads
  • / riding mower keeps shutting off when blades are engaged
I got this craftsman mower with a chinese engine on it (420 CC) and changed the carb on it, now when i engage blades, it shuts off on me. I took the belt off of the engine spindle and turned the blades on and the engine didn’t shut off so it’s not a safety issue. i spun the blades with my hands and they seemed to spin freely. idk what it could be any ideas?

model is 247 203700

Bertrrr

Threads
Does it fall on it's face or does it begin to die slowly like it cant recover from the sudden load of the blade action ?
Most of these you need to rev up almost full throttle when engaging the blades

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

247.203700 (13A277XS099) - Craftsman T1000 Lawn Tractor (2014) with a 4P90HU engine.​

What was wrong with the mower before the carburetor change?

Is the replacement carburetor an OEM or a clone? Clones are known for their problems. And I even had an OEM this year to come in defective.

Also when checking the deck did you check the two idlers pulleys for freedom of movement. IE bearing might be froze in one.

semimechanicman

Threads
Does it fall on it's face or does it begin to die slowly like it cant recover from the sudden load of the blade action ?
Most of these you need to rev up almost full throttle when engaging the blades

even when i engage the blades slowly at full throttle it still dies. if i choke it up fast enough it will stay running

Bertrrr

Threads
Do you have an electric PTO or is it manually engaged ?

Bertrrr

Threads
Look at the governor linkage and make sure it's free and not binding , it sounds like if you choke it quick enough it keeps running so I'd think maybe the governor is not reacting quick enough or you may have a carburator problem. Has this gotten worse over time or all of a sudden doing this ?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the carb has a low speed mixture screw, richen it up a bit. Just to test, partially choke it while you engage the blades.

semimechanicman

Threads
Look at the governor linkage and make sure it's free and not binding , it sounds like if you choke it quick enough it keeps running so I'd think maybe the governor is not reacting quick enough or you may have a carburator problem. Has this gotten worse over time or all of a sudden doing this ?
with the old original carb it had no issues apart from running a little rough and having a slight surge

semimechanicman

Threads
If the carb has a low speed mixture screw, richen it up a bit. Just to test, partially choke it while you engage the blades.
which way is to richen it up?