Ridge Reamer

cjdave

Threads
I have a Haynes Techbook it list a Ridge Reamer as a tool you need for a rebuild, but no were in the book tells about it and how to use it. Is this a neccessary tool? Thanks again sorry about all the questions, its only way for me to learn. Thanks David

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A Ridge Reamer is the tool used to remove the ridge at the top of the cylinder where the top compression rings does not reach. You have to remove this ridge before you push the piston out or you will break the rings. I used them back in the 70-80s, but can't remember the last time I needed one. This is not a necessary tool, don't get one unless you are going to do a lot of rebuilding, and then buy it only when you see that first cylinder ridge.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've still got one in my tool collection, a Lisle, don't remember the last time that I used it, but somewhere in my past when I was rebuilding small and big block Chevies it got lots of use and I still have new cutters for it. I still have an old Starrat dial bore gauge, another piece in my tool "museum"!!!
Mad Mackie in CT