Reversed battery YTA18K42

LarryC3315

Threads
I bought a new battery for it and inadvertently got one with the posts reversed from the original. I realized that after I hooked it up. I have power at the solenoid, but nothing is working. I looked all over for the fuse, but have been unable to find it. The manual says it is behind the dash. Any suggestions? It's a good mower. I bought it from my mother in law's estate. It only has about 130 hours on it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Follow the small wire going from the starter solenoid to the key switch. Most times it will be within 12” of one of these components.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the Husqvarna, Poulan/Pro and the craftsmans made by Husqvarna the fuse if the battery is under the hood is normally on the left side if you are standing in front of the mower looking at the battery. Sometimes they will be metal clipped to the left side of the dash upright. Sometimes they are taped to the wiring harness and basically covered in tape.

LarryC3315

Threads
Thanks guys, I'll be checking again tomorrow. Lots of storms went through this evening.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My scuba air tank is running quite low here. And glad I got flat bottom boat to paddle out to the driveway.

LarryC3315

Threads
Well, I got the fuse replaced. Ran good for awhile. Now the starter isn't kicking up enough to engage the flywheel. It was fine, mowed about an acre. I got the oil and filter, and the air filter replaced. I took the starter to a man that works on starters, alternators and such. He said it's working fine. Any suggestions?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Well, I got the fuse replaced. Ran good for awhile. Now the starter isn't kicking up enough to engage the flywheel. It was fine, mowed about an acre. I got the oil and filter, and the air filter replaced. I took the starter to a man that works on starters, alternators and such. He said it's working fine. Any suggestions?
Could be excessive voltage drop from battery to starter. Need to use a multimeter to determine. What exactly is the starter doing? Is it spinning and not engaging the flywheel? Is it going all the way up and engaging the flywheel yet it is stopping?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ever thought about that the OP maybe destroyed the charging system of the battery and now the battery is low on charge. It depends if he has a dual stator with just a diode or larger stator with a voltage regulator as to what maybe blown.

Plus this is probably Briggs Single Cylinder Intek that the valves are probably out of adjustment or the ACR is broken.

LarryC3315

Threads
This a 19 hp Kohler single cylinder engine. The battery was removed and put in my yta22V46 and was plenty strong enough to start it. The mower only has about 130 hours on it. It sat for years in my mother in law's garage. The teeth are not being pushed up far enough to engage the flywheel. When you try to start, the starter sounds like it's going to work for one quick burst and that's it. If you try again, nothing happens.