Lawn Addict
Threads
They do really raise hell. I hope none of you come back as a mole.:smile:

Mikel1

Threads
Rather be a mole than an ugly possum.:laughing:

ingigo

Threads
Sorry for the delay. I cannot use the computer for stretches of time. Thanks for the thorn idea and I did not know they eat grubs mostly, but a lot of worms here. I got the 600# roller out, but it is in the 70's one day and freezing at night. Getting a lot of rain soon, so I will roll then. The rain will push the moles up to the higher ground, so should I place traps and such up high by the exit holes and roll from the bottom up towards the traps? Sorry, but they are turning the whole property into a mini mine field :mad: I am sleeping with a pitchfork under my pillow lately. Thank you guys!

ingigo

Threads
Thanks Rhett! I now have a need to get an oxy acetylene torch and gas. Blowing up those holes looks so fun but I have to get the timing and mixture right or I will really mess up the lawn. I love explosions though!

send2den

Threads
I consider myself "somewhat" an expert on mole eradication, short and long term eradication, as evidenced by over 60 kills in 2 seasons. The old house I bought had its yard infested with moles. I'm a grass guy and they were destroying everything I did to make my lawn nice. My first course of action was for long term. GRUBEX. Just have to get rid of their Filet Mignons. No other way around it. NOW, for short term and to go directly into mole warfare I battled them in a 2 front attack. Bought the best trap on the market IMO called the Moleliminator. It's like a double knife bladed deal with massive springs which must be set with your body weight. You've got to be able to learn their trenching and travel habits to set these in the right spots. I can get in to this aspect if anybody needs more info. Once these are tripped, there's no survival. This trap is bad to the bone. 45-50 of my kills were on this trap. Procedure #2. Get up at the crack of dawn, and go to the garage and secure your best spade. Hopefully in the previous days you have done your homework and know what part of the yard or even what trench may be HOT in the morning. They move and eat in the morning. They move and eat in the late evening as well. The next thing is slowly walking out to a HOT trench and WAIT. Sometimes it's immediate. Sometimes it takes 15-20 minutes to see movement. Used to love the look of my neighbors early in the morning when they were going to work and there I stood motionless out in my yard with a shovel. They were probably checking the obituaries the next day. lol. When you do see movement, trace the trench and figure about where he is gonna be, slowly place the tip of the spade in line with the trench, jump up as high as you can jump and come down on the spade with your feet. Try not to be drinking during this stage.lol. In one swift motion, pluck out the biggest piece of dirt that you can muster and THERE HE IS. Chop his fury butt before he tries to burrow back in. This 3 pronged approach took my yard from being a disaster with trenches and volcanoes to where I had NO moles in 3-4 years. The 2 years after the big year where I hit 60, were just stragglers. Had maybe 2 one year, 1 the next and then they were TOTALLY eradicated. My trap has gotten no use in about 5 years now. It paid for itself.

Brownieboy

Threads
Moles are such a job to get rid of but as any animal usually the presence of humans can get rid of them. You cant always be guarding your home but you can mak those blind little things think youre there. How? leave your scent around your lawn. Human hair tends to do the trick for a lot of animals. Go to your local barber and ask for some they'll gladly give it to you.

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
I come from a long line of mole eradicators - grandpa and dad like the pitchfork but after everyone tried all the traps I found this one that has been almost foolproof for 3 years - hardly ever misses - stomp down the run to find the active one and set this - usually within 12 hrs I have the mole or two

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/easy-mole-trap

wish I owned this company cause there are so many traps out there that don't work and this is the one that gets them consistantly

PS and it was inquisitive lab proof - the dog couldn't hurt himself with it and didn't trip it by accident

deck~dragger

Threads
Moles were destroying my wife's flower garden, I suppose they were after the grubs. Put a Sweeny's sonic spike in the ground near the flower bed and seems to have worked. Have not noticed any new activity but it has only been two weeks. At the moment the yard is bone dry from lack of rain, maybe that limits mole activity? Time will tell.

Bob E

Threads
I had some massive mole activity this year. I piped lawnmower exhaust into their 2 main hills. No more moles. :thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Moth balls will keep everything away.

I had a friend that had squirrels getting into his attic , 2 boxes of moth balls thrown around and no more squirrels .....plus he kept finding dead bugs all around the house , works great .....IF you can tolerate the smell of moth-balls for awhile, Then he opened up several electrical switches and receptacles ( power off for safety) and dumped a few balls into each one and no critters anywhere , but DON'T put them where kids or pets can get to them , ......... those be FRIENDLY critters we like to keep around !!