Retrofit a voltage regulator Husqvarna YTH 18542

larryuno

Threads
Hi, I posted about a battery problem here and determined that the battery had likely been damaged by overcharging. Motor is 3 3R777 0005. I couldn't find a new diode where I live, but had an older tractor diode which hadn't damaged the same type battery before. The problem remained: 17 volts plus charging. I want to know if someone here can instruct me how to retrofit a voltage regulator to this tractor to end this problem?? Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Using the current dual stator connections you would need the 790292 regulator or after market version. Now it will need to be grounded to work.

larryuno

Threads
Thanks, gents, for the replies. It is apparent I have the dual circuit system: red wire with a diode lump, and black wire plain. I can see a spot where a regulator might fit, but there is none.

larryuno

Threads
Using the current dual stator connections you would need the 790292 regulator or after market version. Now it will need to be grounded to work.
Thanks, do I assume it will be grounded by attaching it to the block? That is, is the housing metal and provide a ground?

larryuno

Threads
Followup

Though the regulator took weeks arriving, I finally got it, and found a mounting point on the oil filler tube. I threaded in the correct stove bolt to mount it, found a small screw on the side of the regulator housing, and used that as ground point to the block. Fired up, the charge read a rock solid 12.5 volts, and I am a happy camper.

DHook

Threads
I have the same mower with the same problem. Would you be able to post up the part number and related info like vendor name? And maybe a picture of how you connected the wiring? (Just did a search on google for the part number Star tech listed and came up with this: https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical-Voltage-Regulator-Stranton/dp/B073DD6TCM. Is this what you installed?) I'm not real savvy when it comes to wiring in this sort of thing so it would be really helpful to see/read instructions on installing this. I need to install this when season starts to avoid overcharging the battery. What I did towards the end of last season was to connect the battery to start the mower, then disconnect the battery while mowing so as not to overcharge the battery. This worked ok but would sure like to put in a regulator like you did.

Last edited:

larryuno

Threads
Hi, Star tech posted the part number 790292 regulator, I searched it on Amazon. There is a hole through the regulator housing, which a stove bolt can be chased through to the aluminum head, providing ground. Remove the diode, red wire with a lump in it, and the same terminals can be used to the regulator, male to female just like we like it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well first you weren't to remove the diode.
1713007955774.png
But now a different setup like the one below.
1713008207543.png