Residential reliabilty: Honda or Briggs

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have around 700 hours on both my GCV160 and GCV190. No problems.

Just 300 hours more to go and you will make the 1000hr club without any problems. My Kohler has 800 hrs. on it but I have had a few small problems like oil leaks and some bad wires.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
In England there are generators that are powered by briggs vanguard horizontal vtwins that have approx 10,000 hrs +.
I cant remember exactly what they are for but i think its an mod base or something.
Apart from general servicing they have not given any major faults

GregGA

Threads
In England there are generators that are powered by briggs vanguard horizontal vtwins that have approx 10,000 hrs +.
I cant remember exactly what they are for but i think its an mod base or something.

What is the quality of the current production of Briggs? Have you replaced any old engines with new Briggs and what do you think? Does Briggs have a European plant?

What other small gas engines are available in Europe/UK that you find outstanding?

Do you feel if a person does everything as they should: no stale/contaminated gas, oil changes with quality oil, RPMS within governed speed,etc that a homeowner "250 hr engine" will last much longer?

Thank you!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

10,000 hrs. running a generator without any major faults. Now is that 10,000 hrs. under a full load with a air cooled engine. Am I missing something here on this story???

GregGA

Threads
10,000 hrs. running a generator without any major faults. Now is that 10,000 hrs. under a full load with a air cooled engine. Am I missing something here on this story???

Hmm. I drive a 2003 International bus that has 7698hours, 108,000 miles. Not at full load...10,000 IS a LOT of hours!!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hmm. I drive a 2003 International bus that has 7698hours, 108,000 miles. Not at full load...10,000 IS a LOT of hours!!

The two engines are nothing alike. A Briggs air cooled engine compared to a commensal water cooled bus engine.

GregGA

Threads
The two engines are nothing alike. A Briggs air cooled engine compared to a commensal water cooled bus engine.

Agree. Just giving a comparison in hours/miles to show rhe work the Briggs is doing,

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the quality of the current production of Briggs? Have you replaced any old engines with new Briggs and what do you think? Does Briggs have a European plant?

What other small gas engines are available in Europe/UK that you find outstanding?

Do you feel if a person does everything as they should: no stale/contaminated gas, oil changes with quality oil, RPMS within governed speed,etc that a homeowner "250 hr engine" will last much longer?

Thank you!

Its a shame the Briggs sprint has finally came to an end.
160 million made shows how good and robust they were.
As for the new 450 series time will tell but problem with carbs and hot start but early days.

The DOV by Briggs is a good model but aimed at the higher end market. Very robust.
Thank god Intek has gone. the model 11/12 intek was crap.
This new 800 series looks promising.
The old model 28 was a brilliant ride on engine and model 21 is doing a job but the 28 was simple and well built.
Vanguard is still the best. Only ever had one warranty on Vanguard in 13 years of selling.
Briggs had a plant at czech republic that made the sprint but think closed down.

As for new engines then you are going to think im a hypocrite.
I sell a 2 stroke product which is called Mitox
It is assembled in china. Engines made in europe.
The company that imports it has strict control on whats fitted.
Walbro carbs, full crank engines and high spec on each product.
We sold efco which were built in china but had the efco price. We took the middle man away and so the price was better.

I would put Mitox before any 2 stroke product in its market aimed at domestic and land owner.
It isnt aimed at commercial but we have sold it to gardeners and golf courses and its held up well.

Yes if you look after your equipment then it will look after you.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads

10,000 is not a lot.
How many hours in a year?