Residential reliabilty: Honda or Briggs

GregGA

Threads
Either one will be fine with reasonable care. Here's how my Honda GCV190 will not see the inside of a shop:

Bought the mower last month:

Bought a shop manual and will follow the service intervals.

Use non-ethanol gas.

Use a "Mr. Funnel " to filter the gas added to the tank.

Use an HDEO engine oil, Shell Rotella.

With no bias. a Chonda clone, Chinese Briggs or Honda will all last and run for upwards of 1000 hours if treated like this.

Comments?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That can be a yes or no answer. Just for your own good luck I will give you a YES vote. 1000 hrs. is a lot of hours??? and things happen other then lubrication problems.

GregGA

Threads
That can be a yes or no answer. Just for your own good luck I will give you a YES vote. 1000 hrs. is a lot of hours??? and things happen other then lubrication problems.

Well I cheated some. Over on "bobistheoilguy.com" Nick1999 has an hour meter on a Honda GCV160 with 700+ hours.
And "clevy" on the same forum has some Honda Clones with "hundreds" of hours. He changes the oil weekly.

Who out there can show these kind of hours, and please let us know how you did it:eek::eek:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here you are talking lubrication only. I don't care if you change the oil every day things happen. Chassis problems, valves break, normal wear and tear, adjustments Didn't you say never see the shop? Like I said 1000 hrs. is a lot of hours so lets be real here. Yes it can happen but don't count on it. This was brought up on a lot earlier thread but that person was talking a lot more hours.

Threads
Well I cheated some. Over on "bobistheoilguy.com" Nick1999 has an hour meter on a Honda GCV160 with 700+ hours.
And "clevy" on the same forum has some Honda Clones with "hundreds" of hours. He changes the oil weekly.

Who out there can show these kind of hours, and please let us know how you did it:eek::eek:

I have around 700 hours on both my GCV160 and GCV190. No problems.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have around 700 hours on both my GCV160 and GCV190. No problems.

Yah probably 800ish on my gcv160 no issues yes

I change oil every 30 hours regular oil
Sharpen blades every 15 hours
Change spark plug once a season
Change air filter every other month
Lube wheels and gears every 30 hrs
I will probably check valves at end of season.
For one week a month I run a small mix of tc3w 2 cycle oil mixed once ounce per gallon into a 2 gallon tank cleans everything up :)

briggs

Threads
Yah probably 800ish on my gcv160 no issues yes

I change oil every 30 hours regular oil
Sharpen blades every 15 hours
Change spark plug once a season
Change air filter every other month
Lube wheels and gears every 30 hrs
I will probably check valves at end of season.
For one week a month I run a small mix of tc3w 2 cycle oil mixed once ounce per gallon into a 2 gallon tank cleans everything up :)

Honda hands down

briggs

Threads
You should change your username to 'honda' then. :laughing:

lol i like Briggs don't get me wrong but i find the Honda a better product all around they last longer and work great i get allot in here at my shop mostly for the basic stuff like tune ups the odd carb clean that's about it nothing to major

Threads
lol i like Briggs don't get me wrong but i find the Honda a better product all around they last longer and work great i get allot in here at my shop mostly for the basic stuff like tune ups the odd carb clean that's about it nothing to major

Good to hear!