Replacing Torsion Spring on Craftsman ZLT8000

IanM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have to replace the torsion spring (part # 732-04869A) on my Craftsman ZLT8000 and I'm unable to find a service manual. Has anyone replaced one before and have any guidance? It looks like I may have to basically take the entire mower (deck, seat, side panels, etc) apart to get to it so if there is an easier way, could someone share?

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to have your full model and serial numbers, then google MTD service manuals to see if there is a manual available. We can’t help you without those numbers.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi,

I have to replace the torsion spring (part # 732-04869A) on my Craftsman ZLT8000 and I'm unable to find a service manual. Has anyone replaced one before and have any guidance? It looks like I may have to basically take the entire mower (deck, seat, side panels, etc) apart to get to it so if there is an easier way, could someone share?

Thanks!

The part number you gave us looks like the spring that makes the grass discharge shoot stay down. That is a simple part to replace. We need the model number for more assistance.

IanM

Forum Newbie
Threads
The part number you gave us looks like the spring that makes the grass discharge shoot stay down. That is a simple part to replace. We need the model number for more assistance.

The model is 247.25061. The spring looks like it attaches to the Deck Lift Handle Rod and keeps the handle from popping out of the height selection. I have the replacement spring, I'm just not sure how much and exactly what I have to take apart to get to it. I did a search to try to find a repair manual or some kind of other instructional manual to tell me but I'm only finding the operators manual, which I have.
Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MTD, which makes your Craftsman tractor has very few service manuals. Because of this you are in the same boat as the service techs when they have to service MTD products. We have to scratch our heads and try to remember if we had done something similar on a different brand. If that doesn’t work, the only thing we can do is start taking things apart and rely on past experience. In this case I have never had to do what you are talking about, so because I can’t see your unit, I’m not going to be of much help. Good Luck in your search, but I’m guessing you will need to start disassembly until someone else comes along. Sorry.

Threads
lanM are you sure of that part number ??? The spring I see is a torsion spring and it's a 732-04420 and it's goes on the the deck lift shaft that holds the everything for the deck......

The part number you gave is for a deck discharge hood...........

Here is a link for a diagram and look at part number 38 that goes on part number 1............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

www.partstree.com/parts/mtd/mowers-...-zero-turn-mower-2013-sears/control-assembly/

IanM

Forum Newbie
Threads
lanM are you sure of that part number ??? The spring I see is a torsion spring and it's a 732-04420 and it's goes on the the deck lift shaft that holds the everything for the deck......

The part number you gave is for a deck discharge hood...........

Here is a link for a diagram and look at part number 38 that goes on part number 1............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Maybe I have the wrong torsion spring then. I thought it was Part #34 (732-04869A) that connects to part #47 (deck lift handle). I can see the broken spring hanging from the deck lift handle.
The issue is the deck lift handle keeps popping out of the height selection when mowing. I have to hold the lift handle in place with a bungee cord, from the handle to the deck to it doesn't pop out of the desired height.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's funny that the spring looks exactly like what you would use to put the deck shoot on with. But obviously it's the one that you use for the shifting. It looks like a simple repair but looks on paper compared to what you're actually going to be doing will be a little bit different. All you have to do to be able to replace that spring is to undo the nut on the end of the shift rod and pull out the lever. Replace the spring in the correct orientation. Put the lever back in place and put the nut back on.

IanM

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's funny that the spring looks exactly like what you would use to put the deck shoot on with. But obviously it's the one that you use for the shifting. It looks like a simple repair but looks on paper compared to what you're actually going to be doing will be a little bit different. All you have to do to be able to replace that spring is to undo the nut on the end of the shift rod and pull out the lever. Replace the spring in the correct orientation. Put the lever back in place and put the nut back on.

Thanks for that info. So it looks like I'm going to have to take the seat frame and side panels off to get to it, right? and maybe the battery? Seems like replacing the spring itself isn't as hard as what it takes to get to it....

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would remove the deck and work from underneath.