Repairs Replaced Battery Today and found two springs, but not a clue where they go?

BashRipRock

Threads
  • / Replaced Battery Today and found two springs, but not a clue where they go?
Hey everyone. I finally put a new battery in my John Deere STX38 Yellow Deck today. When I removed the battery I found 2 springs, one on what would be each side of the battery if standing behind the seat. They are attached on one end to the "battery tray area" but the ends that would point to the front of the mower are not attached to anything. They are rusted and just laying there. I looked online and found a diagram but it doesn't state what they are for. The mower runs fine. I just put a new muffler on over the weekend so it is much quieter. Any assistance on this would be great. Thank you all in advance! Have a great evening.

Attachments

• JD Extension Spring.jpg
    JD Extension Spring.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 20

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should be a rod, bar or plate which goes across the top of the battery, which the springs at attached to, to hold it in place. Probably part number 3.

JoeM(GA)

Threads
if I remember correctly, they hooked on to the #2 black cover to keep the battery in place

BashRipRock

Threads
Thanks for the info guys. I have been away for a few days. Seems reasonable to me. Once again I surely appreciate it. This forum has helped me tremendously! Good day!