Repairing lawn equipement for a living

afoulk

Threads
I guess this one is geared towards those of you that work in a lawn equipement shop or dealer. I've been thinking about this for a long time and always thought that there wasn't much money to be made in it if you didn't want to own your own shop. So, is it possible to make a descent living working for a dealer or general repair shop? I am currently a diesel mechanic at a Mack truck dealership, have been for the past 12years. I'm at a point in my life where I'm starting to feel the aches and pains associated with working on large equipment, not to mention the dirt and grease built up on a truck with 500,000miles or more on it gets old, plus, I just feel its time for a change. I'm married, with two kids, and a house, so starting over career wise is kinda scary. Anyways, I messed around with mowers and such back in highschool, but not much, and havn't really messed with it much since then. I've always loved this stuff, just havn't had the time or money to mess with it outside of work. If a descent living can be made working on this stuff, would my background as a diesel mechanic help me get a job, or do I need to have some sort of training or experience to get a job working on lawn equipement? As far as training goes, all i've had is a small gas engines class back in high school, about 16yrs ago. I appreciate any help or advise you guys can give me.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some of the small engine manufacturers have there own schools, which you will have to attend at your own expense, which are around $500 for Briggs, and Kohler, plus travel, hotel room fees. Minimum inventory requirements for most manufacturers if you want to do it full time, and also want to be able to file warranty. Last track I had companies like Simplicity required $50,000 starting inventory, and Stihl, Husqvarna each require $30,000. Briggs start inventory is around $3,000, Kohler around $2,000. Briggs and Kohler also require stocking a certain number of engines. Briggs requires 3 and Kohler 1, Honda 3.

Starting out on your own, it may be easier to start out of your garage, due to lower overhead, because it you are paying rent and other building expenses it will get into your pocket quickly. If you can get hired by a mower repair shop, they should pay to send you to the required schools, but most shops are looking for experienced mower technicians.

okiepc

Threads
Sometimes a change is needed but you might consider starting out slow from your garage or workshop & keeping your current job. Take in a few small jobs and acquaint yourself with small engines and the like. Many or all the questions can be answered by the experts right here so you have an invaluable source of knowledge already. Being a mechanic you are familiar with how thing work and you have the tools to start with. If you go to work for someone else your in the same rut, working for yourself, no end to what you can do. :thumbsup: Just my opinion but I know, I did it, it took me a few years to build up my business (computer repair) but when I walked out the door of my main job I never missed a beat & it has been 4 years ago. Yes it is rather scary at first but with hard work and planning, you can do it.:2cents:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have been a mack diesel mechanic for the last 12 years you can fix lawn mowers. The job is basically the same. We have a man in our
town that started his own repair shop. He has all the business he can handle plus. If you work for a dealer you will make
a fair living but never get rich. The dealers around here pay the mechanics anywhere from 10 to 15 dollars a hour.

Flintmotorsports

Threads
Well i have had my shop open for 3 years now and there is still some down time but the big thing
is getting you name out there. as inventory goes just find a local parts store to help with air filter
and spark plug and such. briggs and stratton has lower inventor brackers and kohler does to you will
have to stock $750.00 in parts for each dealer and that is not much you can have that in you pockets
but you will have to have a tax id number and have a legal buisness name and stuff like that. if you
more question just ask. oh and i forgot to this is my only job and i am 23 years old so i have a very long
road ahead of me.

afoulk

Threads
thank you for all the help so far guys. I don't know that I'm looking to start my own business, that's a big leap of faith that I'm not sure I want to take or new headaches I want to create. It does have its appealing aspects to it, I'll admit that. Its a lot I'll have to think about.

Parkmower

Threads
Try a golf course or park maintenance shop. A lot of bigger commercial mowers are diesel powered. Your experience in that field should help.