Reel Mower problem

BamaMatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an American Reel mower. I have had it for 3 months now and have cut with it 2 to 3 times a week since having it. The last few weeks I have noticed a choppy type of cutting coming from it. I cannot seem to figure out what is causing this. I have tried to sharpen the blades and adjusting the bedknife and the blade.

Also, I should add. I cut the grass just under 1 inch. I can go over and over it but it doesn't seem to help. The spot you are looking at was cut over 5 times today. Granted, all in the same direction. It does seem to get better when I cut at a different angle.

photo31.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks to me like you may have a couple of problems. 1. One blade is cutting deeper than the rest. 2. Bed knife is not level across the blades. 3. Blades are not sharpened at the same angle. I would start be resharpening the blades and bedknife and then carefully adjust sone that each blade is cutting evenly across the knife.

BamaMatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I will realign the bedknife with the blades.

You think one blade is causing all this damage?

FWIW, I went mowed a neighbors yard who keeps his grass about 1.5 inches tall. I raised the blade of my reel to where I cut 1/3 off of his grass and it cut fine.

rmcphearson

Threads
There are a few things that can cause marcelling or "washboarding". If you look at the specifications in the owner's manual it may show the clip rate or frequency of clip FOC or something like that. The ideal height for a reel mower is close the the clip rate. You wont be able to mow much lower than about 20% lower than the clip rate without marcelling.

Another thing to check is all the blades should be cutting or pinching a thick piece of paper. If one blade is bent out and contacting the bedknife while the others have a gap between them and the bedknife that will cause marcelling.

I'm guessing clip rate. I think McClane sells a push reel mower with a small clip rate capable of cutting very low.

Regards,
Roland

BamaMatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are a few things that can cause marcelling or "washboarding". If you look at the specifications in the owner's manual it may show the clip rate or frequency of clip FOC or something like that. The ideal height for a reel mower is close the the clip rate. You wont be able to mow much lower than about 20% lower than the clip rate without marcelling.

Another thing to check is all the blades should be cutting or pinching a thick piece of paper. If one blade is bent out and contacting the bedknife while the others have a gap between them and the bedknife that will cause marcelling.

I'm guessing clip rate. I think McClane sells a push reel mower with a small clip rate capable of cutting very low.

Regards,
Roland

Thanks for the tips. This is pretty much what my research said. I couldn't find a clip rate for this mower I don't believe. Do you know what McClane it is that has a low clip rate? Have you heard anything about a Mascot Reel?

rmcphearson

Threads
Here are the McClane push mowers

Push Mowers

You may want to contact them to get their recommended height. I recon the 17" Greens mower has a small clip rate and can go down to .250" hieght of cut.

I'm not familiar with Mascot.

If you're intersted in a gas powered mower, that's a whole different ball game.