Recommendation for small'ish ride on mower

JohnB352

Forum Newbie
Threads
I live in Florida. Our yard is a little under .5 acres. I'd normally push mow it, but with the Florida heat/humidity, that is not fun. I would prefer not to have to put a 42" or larger mower in the garage. I've done some research on 30 to 36" inch ride on's. Seems like all I find is mowers that don't have a floating deck with wheels. And all the reviews on those complain about scalping. I have been push mowing our lawn up until now, and our lawn is beautiful. I would like to keep it that way. But from what I've read, a 30" deck, small ride on is going to cause scalping. We have the typical dips here and there in the lawn.

My question is; does anyone sell a small ride on that has the anti-scalping wheels on the deck? Seems like all the rear engine mowers don't.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Buy the mower you like, add 4 wheels to the deck and inhibit the floating feature.

JohnB352

Forum Newbie
Threads
Buy the mower you like, add 4 wheels to the deck and inhibit the floating feature.

I thought about that. And I could not find anywhere that anyone did that successfully. The comments I found all said; a deck on a rear engine mower with a 30" deck is not a floating deck, it's fixed. So the wheels would not help. But it didn't say if they had actually tried it. Was hoping to find someone that had tried it.

Jack17

Threads
I always liked Simplicity product. The new Regent with 38" free floating deck, rear suspension, K46 transmission will last you a long, long time and you'd be very happy with it.

deck~dragger

Threads

deck~dragger

Threads
I always liked Simplicity product. The new Regent with 38" free floating deck, rear suspension, K46 transmission will last you a long, long time and you'd be very happy with it.

Yes, that rear suspension is a plus, saves the back.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would do a great deal of research on the difference in the transmission area..... I personally have NO experience with either trans, however when I heard about the new General CVT trans. I did poke around somewhat and liked what I saw. However since that initial looking, I've read some reviews that would push me away from that unit, on the other hand, they may have made improvements to the trans. by this time. If your talking about a couple grand for a new machine, be sure you're getting something that's tried and true. Maybe a few other members will pipe in and relate their knowledge of these units , Anyway, ... best of luck .......Boobala ..:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Yardman Yard bug series have hanging decks as does the Toro recyclers.
Most RER's will use a skid plate on the deck and AFAIK, all decks are floating,
If you can lift the deck without lifting the entire mower it is a floating deck.
For a small yard I would seriously consider one of the out front articulated mowers.
The Rider Pro series of Huskys, & Johnsoreds do a very fine cut and the bio-clip decks are quiet and mulch really well.
The Stiga Park is good and the 4WD park is even better.
There are expensive mowers but can be picked up for a reasonable price on the used market.
Almost nothing ever goes wrong with them and if you put a new muffler on the engine the mowers themselves are quiet so good for mowing in close suburbs.
The other option is a Self Propelled drum style mower with a sulky.
Again they can be picked up really cheap used but you will have to work out how to mow without using a reverse.

Avoid like the plague the Stiga- Castle Gardens - Park compact .
They all look the same, a very short mower, engine on the mowing deck rear discharge with catcher.
The drive system is a POS and if you stop in a high gear turn the engine off then change to a low gear you have to pull the mower apart to reset the drive pulleys.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro has a 30" zero turn. That's all I know about it tho.