recoil stater blowing up!!!

snnoopy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please help me!! My recoild starter on my Briggs 11Hp IC engine is literaly blowing up! I dont mean the spring is unwinding. I mean the pulley and pawls are breaking!

This has happened twice. First time, I replaced the spring, pull rope, and pulley. This engine is in a Swisher trail mower. I thought the belt may be to tight so I took the belt loose. Engine started once. Stopped and tried again. Poof. Blew up.

This time I replaced the pulley, pawls, and pawl plate. Reinstalled. This time just pulled slowly to turn engine over. Second "pull" the assembly broke again!!!!!

When it breaks the posts on the pulley that keeps the pawls from over extending break. And the posts the pawls set on snap off. Rendering the pulley complete junk.

What on earth is going on!!!!! Help me!!!!! I'm over 100 bucks into this and I can tput anymore in it unless I know its going to work!

B&S "customer services" was absolutly no help............

Contact the manufacture, usually of the engine, and find out if there is a recall on the unit. Expect results.

cartman308

Threads
Contact the manufacture, usually of the engine, and find out if there is a recall on the unit. Expect results.

I called Briggs after about two weeks of frustration and over $100........ the lady on the phone was polite and didnt mention any recalls on the engine I have. She couldnt give me any technical support only could offer the local dealer/service center, which I already know. She offered to email me some info, which I STILL have not received.......

Im going to check the fly wheel key and if its good just roll with the rigged up pull rope I made until I can figure sething else out.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you by any chance shorten the starter rope or reposition the pull handle? When the rope is fully recoiled and the pull handle is against the housing, the pawls should be fully retracted so they don't get snagged and broken off as the engine runs.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

snnoopy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please help me!! My recoild starter on my Briggs 11Hp IC engine is literaly blowing up! I dont mean the spring is unwinding. I mean the pulley and pawls are breaking!

This has happened twice. First time, I replaced the spring, pull rope, and pulley. This engine is in a Swisher trail mower. I thought the belt may be to tight so I took the belt loose. Engine started once. Stopped and tried again. Poof. Blew up.

This time I replaced the pulley, pawls, and pawl plate. Reinstalled. This time just pulled slowly to turn engine over. Second "pull" the assembly broke again!!!!!

When it breaks the posts on the pulley that keeps the pawls from over extending break. And the posts the pawls set on snap off. Rendering the pulley complete junk.

What on earth is going on!!!!! Help me!!!!! I'm over 100 bucks into this and I can tput anymore in it unless I know its going to work!

B&S "customer services" was absolutly no help............

I would recommend calling back and expecting to talk to a supervisor. Also, if there is a facebook page, I have learned that companies respoind when you mention a problem on their facebook page. But seriously, they should be covering it. Ask to speak to a a REP. They certainly don't want bad publicity.

cartman308

Threads
Did you by any chance shorten the starter rope or reposition the pull handle? When the rope is fully recoiled and the pull handle is against the housing, the pawls should be fully retracted so they don't get snagged and broken off as the engine runs.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

I havent done this but the engine hasnt ran with the recoil starter since the first time it came apart. The assembly is breaking in various places when I am pulling the rope. Leads me to beleive its an alignment issue whic I have no idea how to correct.

gregjo1948

Threads
I just posted a question about nearly the same problem on 11.5hp I/C engine. There is too much compression for the plastic to handle so I installed electric start system. Too much compression for the starter to roll the engine over. Does your engine pull over very hard also. Thank you, gregjo1948

cartman308

Threads
When cold the engine is hard to pull. Ive been using he long end of a ratchet strap as a starting rope. Havent had a chance to check flywheel key yet. Way to much going on to fool with this engine when I have a way to syart it for now.

I would like a cross referance list of bolt patterns to see what other engines will bolt up. Briggs was supposed to send me this............