Recoil starter spring

silver1

Threads
What is the best way to lube the spring on a 2 hp 3 hp briggs?
I have the spring clean, but not the housing. I will clean it and
install the spring and rope. I believe these take about 6 turns.
I heard somewhere that auto-trans fluid worked ok.
Should it be a spray type lube or just some oil?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMGP0004.JPG
    IMGP0004.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMGP0005.JPG
    IMGP0005.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMGP0006.JPG
    IMGP0006.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 6

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lubricating oil of any type will work fine, lightly. I prefer Liquid Wrench brand in a spray can.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Personally, I've refrained from using a grease or oil in recoil springs. I don't want them collecting dust and sticking up again. I've found that graphite powder keeps things slippery but does not attract grime. Apply liberally, any extra will just fall out, no harm.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally, I've refrained from using a grease or oil in recoil springs. I don't want them collecting dust and sticking up again. I've found that graphite powder keeps things slippery but does not attract grime. Apply liberally, any extra will just fall out, no harm.

Funny you should say that.
A couple of drops of Tri-Flo on a gloved hand as I feed the spring in then a few more on the side of the spring after it is wound in with the stater laid on its side
Tri-Flow is what I use aon all cables and any where else that I need a non sticky lube

silver1

Threads

Good to know!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
None of the manufacturers recommend using any lube on recoil springs. As posted, they will attract dirt which will cause problems down the road.