Recoil snaping back

Pnlawncare

Threads
Hey i have a 48" lesco belt drive wb. With a kawasaki fc420v fs-15. Occasionally when i go to start the mower the pull cord rips out of my hand. I did a search online and read it was probably the flywheel key. So i asked a small engine shop. He says it probably would be if it was a reg mower with the blade on the shaft. But where its a commercial mower its probably somthing else.

Any one have this issue with a commercial mower? Thanks
-paul

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I would check the flywheel key. I have seen this happen when the engine has nothing attached to the PTO.

FloGro

Threads
Id definitely check the valves , ive seen this problem alot at my shop on the honda gx390's. one time I saw it rip the metal threw the rubber on the pull cord T handle and cut my buddys fingers almost clean off... it was deeep cut

gregjo1948

Threads
Not sure on your engine but, many small engines have automatic compression release built into the cam/valves. If yours cranks over hard and snaps the recoil handle from you, set the valve clearances. I'm not sure on yours but on most Kawasakis, .004"-.006" is the gap. gregjo1948