Rebuilding a 1978 5124

WhyZed

Threads
Rebuilding a 1979 5124

I thought I had a good deal on a preowned LB as the owner/salesman ('Dick faced' liar) stated that he had it for a decade and it worked perfect :thumbsup: Maintained regularly and he was sad to see it go:frown: He got a brand new big-wheeler with a bag and just wanted the little LB gone to make room.
I got it for $20.00 and I think I paid to much :wink:

Just home after a quick jont into the carwash :cool: I was so happy with myself.

P5160013.jpg
P5160014.jpg
P5160015.jpg

Then I start rippin into her and find all is not so Rosy.
There are some heavy pock-marks. One goes all the way through, 2 more are all most through. Paints blisterin on the shiny side of the deck!

P5180010 Pitted Deck.jpg

So I got a plan and put it into fruition.

P5180011 Fiberglass Cut.jpg

Glass done

P5180012 Fiberglass Done.jpg

2 coats of rubber truck-bed liner. - sorry Pics later :ashamed:

4 coats of green paint with wet sanding in between coats.
P5180013 Painted Deck.jpg

New (old :wink: cylinder) on top of totally disassembled and cleaned crank with new piston and rings.. Oh-Ya
Rebuilt motor with piston and rings. I cleaned 2-3 cups of grass trimmins out of the crankcase!! :shocked:
The reeds were suffed with grass = open! :shocked:
The carbon in the head, piston top, crank, cylinder, exhaust was stupid stupid stupid!! What do these 'people?' use for 2 stroke oil?
What do these 'people?' use for air filters? How do these people get work?

P5180021 - D409.jpg

The piston definitely had been seized and he broke it free to sell "not seized!! Mother F-er!!!
The rings were seized into the grooves, the piston pin seized into the piston and the cylinder scored bad!!!

P5180022 Painted Deck & Mounting Plate.jpg
P5180023 Painted Deck & Engine.jpg
P5180025 Painted Deck & Engine.jpg

Time for some snacks and a brew er two. I'll see if it fires up tomorrow if I can get back to it.
Ps - the carb was totally STUFFED with vanish and grass. It is the 'Utility' carb and I don't know how to take the main jet out?
Anyone know?

Thanks LB lovers - cheers... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fireman 123

Threads
Sounds like you just bought a $20 dollar mower to me.

Last edited:

WhyZed

Threads
I got it for $20.00, he was asking $50 and coming across like he always maintained it well but didn't winterize it properly, and just wanted to upgrade to a big wheeled bagger to keep up with the neighbors..

He was dishonest about the mower, thus the *&*#X#% comments :tongue: It needed more then a "tune-up"

So now I got a $20.00 mower that I didn't really want to spend $100.00 on plus 4 days but it is what it is.
If I turned it over, would I get $120 plus my time for it? Had I known it was seized (had he been honest) and needed a new piston/rings/cylinder (luckily i had a spare cyl) I would not have bought it..

If I sell it, ill be in prefect working order, if not, I'll put it on the curb, free sign on it.

WhyZed

Threads
Oh, ya - the muffler is rusted out, a 5" long hole. I don't have a spare one of those but I'm lookin :shocked:.
I couldn't see the condition of the deck top or bottom because it was totally plugged and covered with moldy grass which I didn't want to touch with my hands, thus straight to the powerwash :confused2:

Fireman 123

Threads
Always turn the blade, or pull on the rope a little when buying and old lawn boy. Very easy to put the wrong gas in one and then it's shot.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Even though the guy lied to you the mower was well worth $20. If it were me... I doubt that I would have done all that (time and $$$) to restore it. I probably would have made it a parts machine -- but my hat's off to you for fixing it. :thumbsup:

WhyZed

Threads
Always turn the blade, or pull on the rope a little when buying and old lawn boy. Very easy to put the wrong gas in one and then it's shot.
Ya, I did pull the cord. It felt nice like there was decent compression. He lived on a busy/noisy street, I couldn't hear metal on metal but it had definitely been seized and then freed. Next times I'll always take my compression tester. :cool:

WhyZed

Threads
Even though the guy lied to you the mower was well worth $20. If it were me... I doubt that I would have done all that (time and $$$) to restore it. I probably would have made it a parts machine -- but my hat's off to you for fixing it. :thumbsup:

Yes, my only problem with this purchase was that he lied to me.
I don't mind fixing one up for the team. My buddy had a cylinder in a box that fit & he gave it to me, otherwise I would not proceeded. So a piston, rings, 2 cans of paint, a can of carb cleaner and many joyful hrs tinkering. :wink:

Just need a steel wheel, my rings to come in, a couple missing screws and see if it runs :rolleyes:

I'm just getting started in this, so it's good experience, wouldn't do it again (with this model) :cool:.

WhyZed

Threads
I got it running last night and its running very good. Still need a muffler and have a line on one.
I'll get some pics up, I still need to make a stencil and paint the insignia.

impalass

Threads
I got it running last night and its running very good. Still need a muffler and have a line on one.
I'll get some pics up, I still need to make a stencil and paint the insignia.
What type of muffler do you need. Do you have a picture of the old muffler.