Rear tires - when do you replace them?

clay45

Threads
My Tiger Cat has just under 140 hrs so its almost new still. My tires look just fine but they no longer grab like they did and its getting annoying. My place is more pasture than lawn so skinning it up here and there hasn't been a problem but I get tired of continuously having difficulty turning or backing up when I lease expect it. Is it the clover-leave type tread? Starting to wonder if I'd be better off with ATV tires.

I have surfed the net a bit and found mention of it but no strong following. Do the stock rears loose their traction holding ability long before they actually look worn out? At approximately how many hours do they start slipping in your experience?

Curious what the pros do.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wet grass gives tyres a hard time.
Try dropping the pressure a pound or two, as the 4WD tribe will tell you a little less pressure will give you a lot more grab,

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wet grass gives tyres a hard time.
Try dropping the pressure a pound or two, as the 4WD tribe will tell you a little less pressure will give you a lot more grab,

It might help. If you go for ATV tires they run very low pressure 3 to 4 PSI. You need a low pressure air gage to check them.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like Bert said lower the psi down a couple.
What comes on your mower are turf saver tires.

Your tires have got a glaze on them.
Take a grinder and clean them up.
Or a flat file.
Atv tires will just make a mess. You can get mower tires that are not turf saver.

My rear tires on my toro zero turn are slicks. No tread left on them at all. I like them better. I don't slide on hills as much.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you run ATV tires you need to use a tube with them. Running 4 PSI will not keep them on a mower wheel. The bead around the tire is thicker then a mower tire.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Atv tires will just make a mess. You can get mower tires that are not turf saver.

I have to agree on that ATV tires sure can rip up some sod. But they will sure grip, also don't forget a ATV has no differential like a mower has.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most ZTRs steer with the rear wheels, as mowing conditions change, the handling characteristics of ZTRs change and the operator needs to learn how to deal with this just as many of us have had to do.
I know several Scag operators that have thousands of hours on their machines and the same rear tires.
Having mowed for 30 years or so with top end GTs that steer with front wheels, when I bought my first ZTR I was not happy with it, but in time I adapted to its handling characteristics and its poor hillside mowing manners. Now I won't be without a ZTR, but still have a top end GT as the ZTR only mows grass.

clay45

Threads
Thanks men. I don't recall having one with seemingly still new wheels cease holding traction like these. But I did own a pickup in the 1980's that came with some Uniroyals that wore to a certain point and them seemed to lock in above the wear-bars and stay there. But the ride suffered and traction diminished to the point that I replaced them. I remember it was a common complaint so I was checking just in case this was common on the Scag tires as well.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks men. I don't recall having one with seemingly still new wheels cease holding traction like these. But I did own a pickup in the 1980's that came with some Uniroyals that wore to a certain point and them seemed to lock in above the wear-bars and stay there. But the ride suffered and traction diminished to the point that I replaced them. I remember it was a common complaint so I was checking just in case this was common on the Scag tires as well.

What brand are the tires?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe the tires were Old Stock when the mower was built. Is the rubber stiff ? That happens over time, lots of tread, but not so much grip.