Really dusty mower . . .

Threads
Although I don't question the logic of avoiding washing or allowing rain on my JD X-370, I'd like someone to comment in a little more depth about the possible damage caused - particularly by just washing off the exterior. Also, I wonder about the deck attachment which allows a hose to be hooked up to wash the underside of the deck. I've had 2 mowers with this feature, including my JD, and that feature seems pretty worthless to me. Comments? Thanks . . . BTW I have a 56V EGO blower, but it is just ok. Don't have access to a compressor.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Washing by itself isn't really the issue. Pressure washer can drive water past seals and into bearings. Also water can enter non sealed electrical connectors causing corrosion. And the deck wash attachment is like you said for the most part worthless and can cause more harm than good. And not having access to a compressor is not a big issue. I suspect you own a leaf blower.

Threads
Thanks. I've never used, nor would I, a power washer on it. I have washed it off maybe 3-4 times just with a garden hose and standard gun attachment. It has been so dusty here lately. I'll probably do an early change on the air filter! The tractor has only about 130 hrs. on it - it's 2 yrs. old. I do indeed have 2 leaf blowers: a Craftsman 20 volt which is a worthless, wimpy thing that runs about 10 min. (I should have read the reviews) and the EGO I mentioned in my post which is great, but not for taking dust from my tractor. May have to invest in a small compressor.

Lawn Addict
Threads
After each mow season, after I service my mower. I WAX the deck. That makes me blowing it off after each mow so much easier. Works for me anyhow.
I was raised to keep up one's equipment, including appearance.

Threads
After each mow season, after I service my mower. I WAX the deck. That makes me blowing it off after each mow so much easier. Works for me anyhow.
I was raised to keep up one's equipment, including appearance.
For me, the deck is not a problem to blow off dust, leaves and clippings. It is the very fine dust clinging to the engine housing that the blower won't budge (and it's a $300 beast), and I don't want to spray it down with water for reasons I don't need to tell you about with your knowledge. I try and keep my machine well-serviced and clean too, and I do spray the exterior occasionally - except the wheels and dash panel. It's a real treat to operate - JD X-370 w/hydraulic deck lift and power steering. A little hard on gas, but other than that it's just dandy. It wasn't cheap though, but you get what you pay for in lawn tractors most of the time. At 73 I've had several makes, but this one is by far the best all around. Thanks for responding!

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is the very fine dust clinging to the engine housing that the blower won't budge (and it's a $300 beast), and I don't want to spray it down with water
Yes, understood, I avoid water altogether... for that fine dust on mine, I use an old 'California Duster' & micro-fiber towel. Works great & is super fast.
Keeps things looking neat & clean.

I'm about 3 years younger than you, so I have had some various models as well. And my current one is my favorite to date.

Yours sounds like a fine machine.. Enjoy. (y)

Last edited: