Raptor SD "striping kit"

mooch91

Threads
Wanted to share the "striping kit" I built for my 54 Raptor SD. Relatively easy to build with some simple materials, instructions and detailed parts lists at lawnsite.com:

IMG_20140613_071915_332_zpsc8fc03a7.jpg

IMG_20140613_071909_102_zps57afd698.jpg

IMG_20140617_204746_833_zpsded67748.jpg

IMG_20140617_204801_938_zps3a2a3ea3.jpg

stumper

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, I gotta ask. What exactly does this do?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, I gotta ask. What exactly does this do?

Have you ever watched a MLB baseball game? Did you notice the "striped" patterns on the grass areas of the field? The "rollers" behind the cut grass "bend" the grass blades remaining in the direction you are travelling. When you get to the end of a pass and go back the other direction it bends the remaining grass blades in the opposite direction. Depending on whether the mowed strip has blades bent towards your viewpoint or away from your viewpoint results in that strip of grass looking "dark" or "light" green. This is due to the diffraction of the sun's light by the grass blades(It's kinda scientific:0)
There are roller types(like pictured), rubber flap types(mounted to the rear edge of the deck) and the real pros use chains drug behind the mower. This is what the striper does and what the term striping means. Hope that makes sense.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wanted to share the "striping kit" I built for my 54 Raptor SD. Relatively easy to build with some simple materials, instructions and detailed parts lists at lawnsite.com:

That looks very nice!!! Question...it doesn't appear to have any way to disengage the roller, so you are kinda locked into a "full-time" striping system....right? My OEM Gravely Hex Roller Striper can be raised up and locks into the handles used for raising it by pivoting clasps. Therefore you can "turn it on" and "turn it off". Of course, many other striping kits(such as the rubber flap deck systems) are also "full-time" and cannot be "turned off". That does indeed look, though, as if it will stripe nicely!!!! Post some pictures of your lawn after using it(we wanna see the stripes:0)

mooch91

Threads
That looks very nice!!! Question...it doesn't appear to have any way to disengage the roller, so you are kinda locked into a "full-time" striping system....right? My OEM Gravely Hex Roller Striper can be raised up and locks into the handles used for raising it by pivoting clasps. Therefore you can "turn it on" and "turn it off". Of course, many other striping kits(such as the rubber flap deck systems) are also "full-time" and cannot be "turned off". That does indeed look, though, as if it will stripe nicely!!!! Post some pictures of your lawn after using it(we wanna see the stripes:0)

Sure thing. I'm going to add an eye hook and a quick-disconnect to clip it to the trailer hole on the back of the mower once I get a chance. Can't disengage it from the driver's seat, but I can do it manually when I don't want to use it. The hitch clips and clevis pins also allow for me to easily disconnect it overall.

stumper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cant watch baseball,LOL. Thanks for the description.

ffk_pennywise

Threads
I'd love to see some pics of the yard as well. I've been experimenting with dragging a 4" PVC pipe behind me. Works OK but not to the level i'd like. Probably needs some weight in it. The downside with the pvc is that I really cant back up without running up onto the pipe.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sure thing. I'm going to add an eye hook and a quick-disconnect to clip it to the trailer hole on the back of the mower once I get a chance. Can't disengage it from the driver's seat, but I can do it manually when I don't want to use it. The hitch clips and clevis pins also allow for me to easily disconnect it overall.

Good plan!!!! I saw the holes for mounting an engine guard(it's a shame Hustler doesn't include that free on ALL Raptor SD's) and the hitch hole. Mine's no different(I have to stop and go behind the ZTR to manually raise/lower my roller striper). Can't wait to see some pics of how it stripes!!!!

bill1nat

Forum Newbie
Threads

IMG_20140613_071915_332_zpsc8fc03a7.jpg

IMG_20140613_071909_102_zps57afd698.jpg

IMG_20140617_204746_833_zpsded67748.jpg

IMG_20140617_204801_938_zps3a2a3ea3.jpg

Can you post the link to the materials list and instructions
Thanks

Sonders

Threads
Wow that looks real nice; reminds me of the Scag striping kit. I am very interested in the directions on how this is built as well. I have a thick rubber strip on the back of my deck now, but am curious as to if this would work better.