Raptor SD Steering Arm Question

MCX09

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a new Raptor SD. I've mowed with it twice and I am very pleased with it's performance. The question I have is about the operation of the steering levers. When I pull the levers back (reverse) and release them,
they automatically return to the neutral position. When I release the levers will moving forward they do not automatically return to the neutral position. Is this normal, or is this by design.

As you may have already guessed, this is my first ZTM. The only other experience I've had with ZTM's is my brothers Gravley ZT42, which BTW returns to the neutral position when the steering levers are released while traveling in either direction (forward or reverse).

RetiredGuns

Threads
I recently purchased a new Raptor SD. I've mowed with it twice and I am very pleased with it's performance. The question I have is about the operation of the steering levers. When I pull the levers back (reverse) and release them,
they automatically return to the neutral position. When I release the levers will moving forward they do not automatically return to the neutral position. Is this normal, or is this by design.

As you may have already guessed, this is my first ZTM. The only other experience I've had with ZTM's is my brothers Gravley ZT42, which BTW returns to the neutral position when the steering levers are released while traveling in either direction (forward or reverse).

I've mowed with my Raptor about 12 times now and to the best of my recollection that sounds correct. Makes sense to me since we spend most of the time mowing forward. I wouldn't want any unnecessary resistance on the levers when mowing forward, but in short bursts of reverse it doesn't matter. Could be a safety thing also?

Kremeneon

Threads
I was sort of surprised by no return to neutral on forward also. but after getting used to it... it is sort of nice for speed control, and bring able to quickly reposition your hat or wipe a blade of grass from your face without having to stop or try to wrangle both levers with one hand.

Nickwilkins

Threads
It is like this on all hustler mowers. Keeps you tracking more smoothly and when you go to scratch your nose for example, you won't lose control or spin in a circle.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Kainedogg

Threads
It is like this on all hustler mowers. Keeps you tracking more smoothly and when you go to scratch your nose for example, you won't lose control or spin in a circle.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Lol, that makes perfect sense. I am a known nose scratcher.

MRCo.

Threads
That's how they are meant to be. Side note, do not use the handles to pull yourself up out of the seat, you can damage the steering box.

gfp55

Threads
That's how they are meant to be. Side note, do not use the handles to pull yourself up out of the seat, you can damage the steering box.
That side note is a good tip...