Raptor SD leaving too many clippings behind

mooch91

Threads
All,

I mow my lawn once a week; it is a dense lawn and admittedly in that time it grows quite a bit so my issue may be more with the frequency of cut than the mower itself.

But I wanted to see if anyone else feels their Raptor SD leaves too many clippings behind.

I do many straight passes when I cut and I find that the lane next to the one I'm currently cutting is left with a substantial dusting of clippings. Most will disappear within about a week, but some turn yellow over the course of the week and look sloppy.

Wondering if others have experienced the same and if there are any known solutions: mods to the discharge chute or different blades.

Thanks!

gfp55

Threads
Have you checked your blades lately? Are they good and sharp? Are they high lift blades and if they are is the high lift part still there. Is your deck good and clean?

1striper1

Threads
I'm going to vote that it's your mowing frequency more than anything. Yes make sure the blades are sharp and my suggestion is to try a set of Gator Blades. They really chop up the grass into fine pieces. Heck, I even sharpen the grooves on the high lift part of the blade.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Couple things.

Lift the chute up so the grass can spread out more.

Use mulching blades.

Don't cut more then a half inch off the top.

I feel a lawn should never look like it needs to be cut. When it grows a 1/4 inch I trim it.

Rail5042

Threads
Do the gator blades make that big of a difference. Had them on my old John Deere and it seemed that the tractor did not have enough horse power to turn them effectively. Like stock blades better on that unit.

gannon311

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine is doing the same thing!!! Haven't checked my blades but I bet I need new ones. Tell me more about these gator blades......

1striper1

Threads
Mine is doing the same thing!!! Haven't checked my blades but I bet I need new ones. Tell me more about these gator blades......

Do I search on the web. Countless discussions about them.

Big-Al

Threads
Only time my raptor sd leaves to many clippings behind is for 3 reasons. Mowing to low, grass is a lil high or grass is wet. If I do get visible clippings I go over it once and It's good to go.

Kremeneon

Threads
Raptor SD has more than enough power to turn gator blades. I'm running them on my 54. More wind, more lift, more chopping, no problems. I did balance them very carefully since they are heavier than the factory blades and will exacerbate deck vibration/wobble if not right. Properly balanced there is less vibration than with the stock blades and the balance they had from factory.

Rail5042

Threads
I did switch over to gator blades today. I have some areas of my yard wear grass is real think and wet. Did have to cut those area twice. Finished yard with the dryer area of yard. Normal route. Was very pleased with the little amount of build up on deck. Stock blades I had to clean after every mow. Cut was not bad either with gator's.