Raptor SD cut quality - any recommendations?

Grass Whisper

Threads
My dealer has a 2014 fastrak sitting on his floor. I think he would be motivated to move it. I didn't consider it d/t it having the same deck thickness as the Raptor (4.5 inch ) deck. The 2015 has a 5 inch deck and is not chain hung. Not a concern for me at all. Homeowner after all and take good care of my equipment. I would think that a chain hung deck is for more commercial application.:smile:

bigdaddyr

Threads
My dealer has a 2014 fastrak sitting on his floor. I think he would be motivated to move it. I didn't consider it d/t it having the same deck thickness as the Raptor (4.5 inch ) deck. The 2015 has a 5 inch deck and is not chain hung. Not a concern for me at all. Homeowner after all and take good care of my equipment. I would think that a chain hung deck is for more commercial application.:smile:

I wanted the chain hung deck as I do mow for customers and like my lot they have some hills and split rail fences etc. Take a little shot with the chain hung deck and not a problem so much, take one with the Raptor SD deck or the ones mounted like the 2015 Fastrak and you'll be pulling off the deck hanging hardware and using a vice and rubber mallet to straighten it. Don't ask how I know. LOL. THE 4.5" deck layed down a beautiful cut for me so I have a feeling that the extra .5" probably only matters if your taking off a few inches which under normal cutting shouldn't be the case. Can't wait until I can upload pics.

If you are only mowing your place it doesn't matter so much like you said. If you ever have to trailer it to help a friend or family member and you have to do a strange yard it might make a difference.

I want the cool new seat in mine though. The 2014 seat is better than what the Raptor SD came with but not as nice as the 2015 Fastrak seat. I may eventually see what one goes for.

Grass Whisper

Threads
My seat upgrade from the vinyl to upholstery that come on the raptor SD 60 inch cost an additional $200. That seat was really nice. I think that it's worth the extra cost because it has a direct result on the overall experience of mowing. Something that brings me joy. Before everyone calls me nuts, I'm a homeowner and I just enjoy my yard. So consider that it's never a chore for me and it's a place that I can sort out all the crap that happened at work or stress in my life. Having a Fastrak then is just part of the process of enjoyment when I mow my yard. :smile:

kraky

Threads
Nice Mower= Therapy Machine!

At least for me also. I even like snowblowing in the winter.....well....at least the first month or two....lol!

PVHIII

Threads
It's done... proud owner of a new Fastrak. Thanks for all the help many have provided in this thread. I'll keep you posted on how it goes with the Fastrak, but I'm confident it will meet my expectations.

Lesson learned: demo any mower before you buy.
I have to say this at least once..."Told ya"! ;-)

PVHIII

Threads
S.O.B.!
We CANNOT just end this 249 post thread w/a new purchase! Its....its...its just wrong!
The very LEAST you can do is fill is old Raptor SD friends in about how wonderful the fastrack is!
You Do a great job on pics Mooch.....we'll watch....we'll listen and we will now be even more envious of that nice house....beautiful lawn AND the fact the rest of us are stuck in "raptorville"!
Anyhow...let us know what we're missing so we can justify it to our honeys!

Lol @ " stuck in Raptorville"

PVHIII

Threads
Well I too just walked in and said the Raptor SD for me. No demo and really regret that decision.
Mulching kit installed by dealer and I'm thinking, "really poor cut with clumps everywhere - did the company ever test this thing?" A bit stunned over it. My Toro super recycler mulches and leaves a great finish cut. Sure if I let the grass grow super long it's chokes and will leave clumps. However, if I cut with the toro and follow 2days later with the Raptor SD clumps everywhere. I have the Raptor SD sitting in the shop and just wish I never bought it. ;(

Now let's review something, I think that a ZTR mower
is really for guys who can cut quickly, blow driveway and sidewalk, load up and hit the next yard. It's just not for the guy who wants a manicured perfect beautiful yard. Which is completely fine. Surely not slamming any ZTR. Think my application is not realistic for my expectations.

Showed my dealer pictures of my yard and told him about what grass I had and that I mulched it weekly. I just wish he would have said, "yeah, that mower will not do that, it's a ZTR. You want ......."
School of hard knocks...

I too have a choice to upgrade to a fastrak but just not sure that it will cut without clumps. Thoughts?

It will... Guaranteed!

PVHIII

Threads
Well I too just walked in and said the Raptor SD for me. No demo and really regret that decision.
Mulching kit installed by dealer and I'm thinking, "really poor cut with clumps everywhere - did the company ever test this thing?" A bit stunned over it. My Toro super recycler mulches and leaves a great finish cut. Sure if I let the grass grow super long it's chokes and will leave clumps. However, if I cut with the toro and follow 2days later with the Raptor SD clumps everywhere. I have the Raptor SD sitting in the shop and just wish I never bought it. ;(

Now let's review something, I think that a ZTR mower
is really for guys who can cut quickly, blow driveway and sidewalk, load up and hit the next yard. It's just not for the guy who wants a manicured perfect beautiful yard. Which is completely fine. Surely not slamming any ZTR. Think my application is not realistic for my expectations.

Showed my dealer pictures of my yard and told him about what grass I had and that I mulched it weekly. I just wish he would have said, "yeah, that mower will not do that, it's a ZTR. You want ......."
School of hard knocks...

I too have a choice to upgrade to a fastrak but just not sure that it will cut without clumps. Thoughts?
One important thing to consider is the Blade Tip Speed is much faster on the Fast Track.

bigdaddyr

Threads
It will... Guaranteed!

Clumps disappeared with trading my Raptor SD in for the Fastrak SD. Leaves a great cut. Love it.

image.jpgimage.jpg

27155d1440434804-raptor-sd-cut-quality-any-recommendations-image-jpg

27156d1440434804-raptor-sd-cut-quality-any-recommendations-image-jpg

PVHIII

Threads
Clumps disappeared with trading my Raptor SD in for the Fastrak SD. Leaves a great cut. Love it.

View attachment 27155View attachment 27156

27155d1440434804-raptor-sd-cut-quality-any-recommendations-image-jpg

27156d1440434804-raptor-sd-cut-quality-any-recommendations-image-jpg

Congrats on the new mower and that's a beautiful yard you have there..I added Flex Forks to mine and a set of Gator Blades...improved upon what is already a great machine.... enjoy that thing I sure do mine as I'm about to go saddle up now... Lol