Raptor Review

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
With everyone talking about the Raptor and some buying them I just wondered if anyone had a review on the Raptor 54" SD. How are they holding up?

ffk_pennywise

Threads
I bought my 54" Raptor SD a few months back and finally got to use it this past weekend. My last .4 acre yard I cut with a push mower, but we just moved to a new place with 3 1/4 acres. I have no previous experience on a ZTR. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed using the raptor. I cut my lawn in 1.8 hours according to the meter. Its a level lot with nearly a dozen trees. By the end of summer i'm sure I'll knock more than a few minutes off that time as I grow faster on the turns and establish a pattern. The mower "felt" as quality as it looks, was very easy to operate once I got the hang of it, and did a beautiful job. I really like how the Kawi engine fires right up with no effort. So far no complaints!

I'd like to build a stripe kit for it in the coming weeks, but that's a whole other topic..

P.S. I came to the Hustler brand by my bro-in-law who runs a lawn service. All his guys run Hustlers and he swears by them.

neverenoughtime

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought the Raptor SD 60" and I am loving this mower. This is my first zero turn and I did a lot of research before I bought one. I almost bought a Hustler sport last year. Glad I waited.:wink: I am mowing close to 2 acres. My previous mower was a Cub Cadet riding mower that I sold to a friend of mine. It was a little over 10 years old and still ran perfect. The raptor sd is a very well built machine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just bought the Raptor SD 60" and I am loving this mower. This is my first zero turn and I did a lot of research before I bought one. I almost bought a Hustler sport last year. Glad I waited.:wink: I am mowing close to 2 acres. My previous mower was a Cub Cadet riding mower that I sold to a friend of mine. It was a little over 10 years old and still ran perfect. The raptor sd is a very well built machine.

I'm seriously considering the 54 SD for my secondary mower for my business, they have a couple at the dealer I've been looking at but I have some concerns about the FR Kawasaki for the business to whether it would hold up or its longevity.

Kremeneon

Threads
I just bought a Raptor SD 54" last week after much research. It is quite a machine so far.

bucsfan714

Threads
Thoughts on the difference between the 54" @ 3999 or the 60" @ 4400?

Kremeneon

Threads

60 has bigger deck, better two piece seat, engine shroud, and 1hp more engine, I think the only difference in the engine is the camshaft. to me not worth the price difference.

I really only needed the 48 for my uses, but for the $100 from there to the 54 I got the much larger tires for better traction and lower ground loading. seemed a no-brainer.

neverenoughtime

Forum Newbie
Threads

I went into my local dealer knowing I was going to buy either the 54" or the 60" raptor sd. I went with the 60" because of the better seat lol. I also liked the engine guard and the bigger deck. The horsepower difference is minimal between the two. Either one you really can't go wrong.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I went into my local dealer knowing I was going to buy either the 54" or the 60" raptor sd. I went with the 60" because of the better seat lol. I also liked the engine guard and the bigger deck. The horsepower difference is minimal between the two. Either one you really can't go wrong.

Well that answers my question from another thread.....ONLY the 60" comes with an engine guard and for all other models it is an "upgrade option". Bummer....seems like almost a standard on any other high-end Residential ZTR:0(

P.S.
The Hustler website doesn't mention that:0(

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm seriously considering the 54 SD for my secondary mower for my business, they have a couple at the dealer I've been looking at but I have some concerns about the FR Kawasaki for the business to whether it would hold up or its longevity.

Seems like with your satisfaction with your Grandstand you would consider a Toro Titan(especially the MX series). IMHO, a hands-down better ZTR that the Hustler Raptor SD or it's predecessor the Sport and would make a great addition to your fleet(and you know that Toro has one of the best warranties in the business).
Your right, though, I would worry about the FR series holding up under commercial use(the Toro website isn't specific, but it seems to me that the Titan MX comes with the FS...Heavy Duty....Kawasaki).

P.S.
The 54" doesn't have an engine guard/shroud...only the 60". I find that a bit chinch on Hustler's part(you definitely would have to purchase the guard "option" for mowing commercially. Also, the plastic spindle pulley covers are a real turnoff(for me:0)
I seem to remember getting advice when I was looking to avoid those(Bad Boy also has plastic.....another reason I didn't get that Outlaw, thank goodness:0)