Raptor Hydro gear question

Kwelhand

Threads
I'm little worried about Hustler Raptor's EZT transmission.
Unlike my other mower w/ serviceable transmission it looks like it's pretty difficult to change the oil.

How's the durability of EZT hydro on Raptor 42?"

Any way to drain and fill the oil & what type of oil and how much?
How often do I need to change?

Can I pull the trailer? I need to pull that little garden trailer w/ 20~25 pcs of sod per trip at time to time.
Is it going to damage or accelerate the wear of my hydro significantly?

RetiredGuns

Threads
I wonder about durability, but cutting 1/2 acre of flat grass a couple times a week seems like little demand on the EZTs. Spec sheet says they are rated for 900lbs gross, the 42 weighs in at about 500lbs so take that for what it's worth.

EZTs are not generally serviceable by the consumer, but the dealer told me they can work on them. Question is it worth it? If my property were larger, full of uneven ground, etc.. I would have at least gone with an SD. While the 2800s are serviceable, not sure if they are significantly "better".

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm little worried about Hustler Raptor's EZT transmission.
Unlike my other mower w/ serviceable transmission it looks like it's pretty difficult to change the oil.

How's the durability of EZT hydro on Raptor 42?"

Any way to drain and fill the oil & what type of oil and how much?
How often do I need to change?

Can I pull the trailer? I need to pull that little garden trailer w/ 20~25 pcs of sod per trip at time to time.
Is it going to damage or accelerate the wear of my hydro significantly?

As pointed out by user RetiredGuns, the HydroGear EZT trannies are not user serviceable. Durability would depend on how much you mow weekly and the terrain(these entry-level ZTR's are designed for homeowner use and < 1-2 acres/weekly). I would not recommend pulling anything that has any "significant" weight to it with this ZTR(you can ask Hustler or your dealer for specific capabilities).

Kwelhand

Threads
Hmm.. seems like pulling a trailer is no go.

I've heard that people pull out the hydro unit and put it upside down to drain it.
Other drilled the bottom of hydro and drained the oil, then tap the hole with a but but not sure that's good idea at all.

So basically with EZT hydro, you can't change the oil at all by yourself?
I believe even regular oil change then purging the hydro will greatly extend its life.
I just don't want the hydro oil to become a black tar over the time and not even aware of the problem.
Good side is that we're using this unit on our rented property only and the lot is only 1/2 acre and we move once a week.

Our bigger property we used SCAG 48" Freedom Z.

Should I just sell it and get a better unit say... Hustler Fasttrack or Toro 2000 series w/ serviceable hydro?

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
Talk to your dealer first before purchasing another mower.I'm still trying to adjust to the fact my RSD 54" doesn't have grease fittings on the spindles!

Kwelhand

Threads
My dealer is always hungry to sell their machines... it's worse than walking into a car dealership.

Not sure I should sell Raptor that we just brought a few months ago...
That non-serviceable hydro is a real concern to me.

Talk to your dealer first before purchasing another mower.I'm still trying to adjust to the fact my RSD 54" doesn't have grease fittings on the spindles!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My dealer is always hungry to sell their machines... it's worse than walking into a car dealership.

Not sure I should sell Raptor that we just brought a few months ago...
That non-serviceable hydro is a real concern to me.

I hate that you didn't come here before purchasing:0(
Yeah, I would not have purchased any ZTR without serviceable trannies after the advice I got on these forums. The non-serviceable(no grease zerks) spindles aren't a concern because the current sealed bearings will last between 2,000 and 3,000 hours easily. For most homeowners that's a lifetime. Maybe the Hustler dealer will work with you on giving you almost what you paid for the Raptor on a trade-in for a FasTrak.

RetiredGuns

Threads
This forum is like any forum that has a specific theme. I am on guitar, knife, car, Jeep & even shaving forums & we all like the best we can get. A $50 knife might be just fine, but someone has that $500 knife that is much better. This forum discusses mowers and while having an industrial mower for a 3 acre lawn is nice, it is likely overkill. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing at all and I enjoy the very best of a lot of things. As far as mowers go, I see a bit of "oversell" and sometime to the point of making a buyer nervous. Hydrogear makes good equipment and even the lowly 2200s are in a million mowers that keep ticking. The fact that they are sealed does not instantly make them junk. 30-60hrs a year will likely have them lasting longer than a person wants to look at that mower. Keep the fans clear and don't abuse them with 4 hours of continuous mowing of 10" grass! A person wouldn't buy a 12" electric chainsaw to cut down a Sequoia tree, but the guy who trims bushes and prunes 1" branches does fine. I had Murray & Cub Cadet riders for a combined 17 years and didn't even replace a belt let alone a transmission.
I just recently switched from a Cub LT1042 to the Raptor and I am tickled pink at how easy it mows the thickest grass. I averaged 31 hours a year on my 9 year old Cub and with the time I am saving on the Hustler it might be down to 25 or so. If the EZTs can't handle that kind of load then they wouldn't be in the machines. Good reputation & warranty gives me a warm & fuzzy.

Kwelhand

Threads
That's excellent advice!

I only use about an hour each time and meticulously clean the mower w/ my Sthil backpack blower.
For our larger property we use SCAG w/ 3100 serviceable hydro.

Based on your excellent advice and my typical usage, I will just keep the Raptor.
Thanks again for your .02 cents.

This forum is like any forum that has a specific theme. I am on guitar, knife, car, Jeep & even shaving forums & we all like the best we can get. A $50 knife might be just fine, but someone has that $500 knife that is much better. This forum discusses mowers and while having an industrial mower for a 3 acre lawn is nice, it is likely overkill. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing at all and I enjoy the very best of a lot of things. As far as mowers go, I see a bit of "oversell" and sometime to the point of making a buyer nervous. Hydrogear makes good equipment and even the lowly 2200s are in a million mowers that keep ticking. The fact that they are sealed does not instantly make them junk. 30-60hrs a year will likely have them lasting longer than a person wants to look at that mower. Keep the fans clear and don't abuse them with 4 hours of continuous mowing of 10" grass! A person wouldn't buy a 12" electric chainsaw to cut down a Sequoia tree, but the guy who trims bushes and prunes 1" branches does fine. I had Murray & Cub Cadet riders for a combined 17 years and didn't even replace a belt let alone a transmission.
I just recently switched from a Cub LT1042 to the Raptor and I am tickled pink at how easy it mows the thickest grass. I averaged 31 hours a year on my 9 year old Cub and with the time I am saving on the Hustler it might be down to 25 or so. If the EZTs can't handle that kind of load then they wouldn't be in the machines. Good reputation & warranty gives me a warm & fuzzy.