Questions about some mowers I saw today.

Nwatson99

Threads
I saw two different zero turn mowers today on a landscaping trailer and I was curious why the heck where these mowers were set up like this, I drew up my idea on two of these, but the one I am totally lost about.

1. Discharge shoots completely removed and gone.
I am thinking just to get in between objects easier maybe?

2. Outer mowing deck pulley covers on both sides gone, nothing, pulleys and belts were completely exposed.
Have no idea and did not make sense to me for this.

3. One of the roll over bars were set at the 2:00 position and it looked like if the operator was on the machine and it did roll over would not really protect him.
To get under trees easier?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I saw two different zero turn mowers today on a landscaping trailer and I was curious why the heck where these mowers were set up like this, I drew up my idea on two of these, but the one I am totally lost about. 1. Discharge shoots completely removed and gone. I am thinking just to get in between objects easier maybe? 2. Outer mowing deck pulley covers on both sides gone, nothing, pulleys and belts were completely exposed. Have no idea and did not make sense to me for this. 3. One of the roll over bars were set at the 2:00 position and it looked like if the operator was on the machine and it did roll over would not really protect him. To get under trees easier?

1. Not all mowers come with a discharge shoot. They are there so dumb people do not touch the moving blade.
By not having a discharge shoot it spreads the clipping out rather then leave rows.

2. Easy to get to them for maintenance.
And keeps grass from getting packed into the covers and over heating the spindles.

3. To get around trees

Nwatson99

Threads
1. Not all mowers come with a discharge shoot. They are there so dumb people do not touch the moving blade.
By not having a discharge shoot it spreads the clipping out rather then leave rows.

2. Easy to get to them for maintenance.
And keeps grass from getting packed into the covers and over heating the spindles.

3. To get around trees

I lifted my shoot up with a bungee on one mow and to heck with that, I had more grass blown on me and the mower than the yard had, so heck with that **** I like my shoot. LOL
Ah so the covers being gone actually help for the spindles to get more air flow, got ya.
I blow mine out each time I mow and it is more than what you would think collects under there for sure.

Last edited:

mowerman05

Threads
Took my spindle covers off so I can blow it off every day after I mow, tired of remove and install so they stay off.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I saw two different zero turn mowers today on a landscaping trailer and I was curious why the heck where these mowers were set up like this, I drew up my idea on two of these, but the one I am totally lost about.

1. Discharge shoots completely removed and gone.
I am thinking just to get in between objects easier maybe?

2. Outer mowing deck pulley covers on both sides gone, nothing, pulleys and belts were completely exposed.
Have no idea and did not make sense to me for this.

3. One of the roll over bars were set at the 2:00 position and it looked like if the operator was on the machine and it did roll over would not really protect him.
To get under trees easier?

Actually the answers you get from people are the reasons they do those things but it doesn't make it right. Your three questions all have to do with safety issues, that's why they are there when the mowers are purchased. It just goes along with all the other things that people remove from equipment like safety switches, lap bar and seat switches or how about the deflectors on trimmers, the list goes on. Does it make sense :confused3: IDK but I guess it depends if you actually know how to use the equipment or if your an idiot like Carscw said and like to put your hands under the deck with the blades engaged.

I for one never hit a lawn without a discharge shoot or covers over my pulleys but everything else goes away, Rops, safety switches, deflectors on trimmers all are a pita.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric is right you will get many answers to why some do and some don't.
I take my shoots off but I want my safety switches to work. Now if I was doing yards in a subdivision like ric on a weekly or biweekly schedule I would leave my shoot on.

Most my yards are in the country with grass around a foot tall.

On my trimmers one has a shield and one does not.

Nwatson99

Threads
Well thanks for the info guys, I leave all of my stuff on and functional.
However I do agree with everyone on one thing, my Stihl 250R with the blade on it, does not have any kind of guard period, cannot use a blade with a guard in your way.