Question on piston?

unioncreek

Threads
I'm overhauling my B&S Intek 17.5 hp, 31C707 engine. About a year ago the two brass screws came out of the throttle plate and went through the engine. The piston has dimples all over it. I removed the rings today and the top ring was very hard to remove, in fact I broke it a couple of times. I want to measure the width, but can't find out what it should be. If the ring groove has been narrowed by the piston beating the screw on the head can I just chuck it up in my metal lathe and bring the groove width back to specs?

Bob

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm overhauling my B&S Intek 17.5 hp, 31C707 engine. About a year ago the two brass screws came out of the throttle plate and went through the engine. The piston has dimples all over it. I removed the rings today and the top ring was very hard to remove, in fact I broke it a couple of times. I want to measure the width, but can't find out what it should be. If the ring groove has been narrowed by the piston beating the screw on the head can I just chuck it up in my metal lathe and bring the groove width back to specs?

Bob

Possibly if you have a 4 jaw chuck. Al pistons aren't normally round until they reach close to operating temperature.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Have you taken pcs. of the broken ring and raked around the ring groove repeatedly both ways? I think you can clean it up that way. I would smooth off any sharp points on top of piston to prevent detonation.

Walt Conner

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first I ever used a manulathe was on a 1959 ford engine the dealer had screwed up by lapping the valves. Top rings in about 6-8 pieces, IIRC , from slapping in the grooves and rings below the top ring were in lesser pieces. Oil ring not affedted. The grooves had to be widened to accept a spacer with the std. ring.

Attached link of lathe and piston modification.

https://youtu.be/fKdnZbkHwLM

Attachments

• Capture man.JPG
    Capture man.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 4