question about my troy-built push mower

lspencer001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. I have a troy-built self propelled push mower. I bought it used because I needed a mower quick since my old one died. I have never had self propelled before. the mower runs great and mows good. my question is when I have the self propelled engaged it goes forward just fine but as soon as I let go of the lever the front wheels will lock up. I do not know if they are supposed to be free wheeling when not engaged or lock like that. when I pull the mower backwards I release the lever and push down on the handle to raise the front of the mower and pull it back then drop it back down and go forward again. I know this is probably a stupid question but I would like to know since I have never had self propelled before. the model # is: 12A-566N711 and the serial # is: 1D294K00212 thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your unit should free wheel when you release the handle. Remove the top cover a see if it is packed with grass, not allowing the tranny to release.

lspencer001

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks. just went out and took the cover off. there was grass in there but not a lot. I cleaned all the grass out and lifted the front up and tried to turn wheels by hand they they were still hard to turn.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Grass can also get packed inside the drive wheels where the gears are and make them hard to turn. I did one last week that wouldn't drive and plastic wheel bushing was seized to the axle. So may not be a bad idea to pull the wheels and take a look.

lspencer001

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok. I was thinking about pulling the wheels off. I need to order new ones anyway. the tread is shot on them. the owners manual showed a bunch of small washers and nuts and what not so I am kinda afraid that if I get them off I won't get them back together again.

lspencer001

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok I just took the wheels off. the right wheel was clean and the cog and wheel now spin very easy like the should. I greased everything good. the left wheel was so plugged up with dirt. there was just barely enough space for the cog to catch. I cleaned that wheel out the best I could and got most of the dirt out. that wheel spins easier now but I noticed that when you spin the wheel the left shaft spins also. it also does not spin as freely as the right side does.