Question about a brand of mower

screamincobra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so i wasnt sure where to post this. Sorry, im new to this. Im looking into buying a rider, but i have no clue about this brand. The brand is Dynastar. I cant find anything about it anywhere. I heard it may be a shoot off brand of a bigger brand like mtd or something, but i cant find any info on it. Any help would be great. It needs some repairs but is really cheap so i wanted to know what would be best to do. I attached a picture. Sorry i didnt get one when i went to look at it. But will post some new ones tomorrow if the question hasnt already been answered.

Attachments

• dynastar.jpg
    dynastar.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 49

noma

Threads
Hi Sceamincobra

Hi look a little bit and found this on anther discussion board there isn't much out there about those IT WAS MADE BY AMF.THE FIRST 2 LETTERS IN THE
CODE TELLS WHAT YEAR IT WAS MADE.THERE WAS A METAL TAG ON THE REAR THAT GIVES THE MODEL AND SERIAL:licking:

Black Bart

Threads
Probably can not find parts anywhere.
Their is a good reason why it is cheap :rolleyes:

rekees

Threads
"i wanted to know what would be best to do"

Do you want to mow grass or spend your time fixing some piece-o-junk obsolete mower? The best thing to do is to buy a new mower but if you can't afford that then at least get a common mower for which you can get parts. Check on Craigslist but be wary of scams.

LandN

Threads
if you need a rider to do your lawns now,i would lean towards a more common brand where parts are more readily available. but... that dynastar mower might make a good project mower if you have the time,space, tools,etc.etc. i have seen some real nice restored mowers.:thumbsup:

screamincobra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the replies. Well i got the mower because i talked the guy down to nothing for it so i figured project or not its worth it. It runs and everything. It needed a new battery and drive belt. Well i got the battery no problem and it starts right up, but since it is obsolete even our local mower store that has been in business for longer than anyone can remember doesnt know what the heck dynastar is. He told me the serial gives way that it might be a murray brand, but he couldnt find sizing for it for the new belt.
Anyways long story short, i got it and it runs and cuts, but it doesnt move till i replace that belt. Ill most likely be a regular on here for repair questions. Thanks for the help guys. Oh and ill post the serial and pics of it later. Any more info would help on brand. I know you guys said AMF, so ill look around at that. Thanks.

LandN

Threads
Concerning the belt maybe an auto parts store that has a belt measuring tool can measure the dimensions then from that, scout all the hardware stores, heating /cooling/appliance etc. co's. if no current belt on the mower then maybe take a rope and string it through the pullys and get it close,and measure THAT length.:smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for all the replies. Well i got the mower because i talked the guy down to nothing for it so i figured project or not its worth it. It runs and everything. It needed a new battery and drive belt. Well i got the battery no problem and it starts right up, but since it is obsolete even our local mower store that has been in business for longer than anyone can remember doesnt know what the heck dynastar is. He told me the serial gives way that it might be a murray brand, but he couldnt find sizing for it for the new belt.
Anyways long story short, i got it and it runs and cuts, but it doesnt move till i replace that belt. Ill most likely be a regular on here for repair questions. Thanks for the help guys. Oh and ill post the serial and pics of it later. Any more info would help on brand. I know you guys said AMF, so ill look around at that. Thanks.

Dynastar last known owner was Dynamark at 875 N. MICHIGAN AVE.
CHICAGO IL 60611. Dynastar currently is believed to have no current owner, but if you want to take it one step further Dynamark is currently owned by Briggs & Stratton Power Product Group 900 NORTH PARKWAY JEFFERSON WI 53549. So maybe that would give some type of direction to go in.106.gif

Last edited:

Black Bart

Threads
I came up with this on Google.

Made by Dynamark Chicago Ill.

noma

Threads
Here is one more thing for you if you google search( dynastar mower vintage) you get this as one of the response and go to this site in the middle of the page way up on the top it says vintage lawn mower part click on that then you send them a e-mail what you are looking for and any questions about your mower you might want to try that and see what happens. Is it possible to take a string that is about the same width of the pulleys that this belt runs on and measure it and see how long of string it takes to go around all the pulleys .Then measure the length of the string and that's about how long the belt should be it might take a few try's to get the correct belt length.And you could just buy a few extra belts close to your string length and the ones that don't fit take back save you receipt so you can take them back and don't ruin any you might take back. You also have to measure the width of the pulley to it will be ether 1/4 inch 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch wide, do this with a pulley that one of the blades are attached to , then go to some place that sell belts and see how close you come to your string length, parts house or farm store good luck Antique Tractor Parts Dealer > Jacobsen Tractor Parts - AMF Tractor Parts - Homelite-Jacobsen Parts - Antique Tractors here is the site for vintage parts:thumbsup: