Quarter Turn Gas Cap on B&S 190cc/7.25 hp on Toro Personal Pace Model 20340 -

Sean M

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Quarter Turn Gas Cap on B&S 190cc/7.25 hp on Toro Personal Pace Model 20340 -
I have a Toro Personal Pace 22" Recycler mower with a B&S 190cc/7.25 ph engine - serial # 151165827951. The gas cap leaks. The engine is difficult to start when cold. Clean new gas, new carb. Could the loose/leaky gas tank be an issue with the engine sucking gas into the carb? Once started it runs great. AND it restarts first pull after emptying the bag every time.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks - Sean

Oddjob

Threads
  • / Quarter Turn Gas Cap on B&S 190cc/7.25 hp on Toro Personal Pace Model 20340 -
I have a Toro Personal Pace 22" Recycler mower with a B&S 190cc/7.25 ph engine - serial # 151165827951. The gas cap leaks. The engine is difficult to start when cold. Clean new gas, new carb. Could the loose/leaky gas tank be an issue with the engine sucking gas into the carb? Once started it runs great. AND it restarts first pull after emptying the bag every time.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks - Sean
I would try to rule out a fuel issue first. Next time it is cold, try squirting carb cleaner into carb before pulling starter rope. If it starts right up, you have a problem with getting fuel to the carb on startup. Does this have a primer bulb or a choke? If it has the autochoke system, check to see if it is closing when cold. If it has a primer bulb, look closely at the tiny inlet tube built into the plastic shield that holds the air filter, dirt gets in there and prevents enough fuel being pumped by the bulb. Also, make sure the gasket isn’t blocking the fuel inlet. There is a little hole in the gasket for this purpose that has to line up with the primer fuel path. If you reused the old one when you replaced the carb, maybe time for a new gasket, too.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It should have an AutoChoke system. As stated make sure the choke is fully closed on cold start. I’ve got a couple of questions though. Did you purchase the new carb from a reputable dealer or or off the internet? When you installed the new carb, are you sure you snapped it In properly with a new gasket. I’ve seen them come without a new gasket and people have not gotten a good seal using the old one. I’ve also seen, many times, carbs purchased off the internet being junk.

Oddjob

Threads
I have found twice now that the autochoke lever that is thermostatically controlled gets lazy or stuck if the mower hasn’t been used in a while. Moving it back and forth until it frees up has solved the issue for me. The spring should move that lever fully back and close the choke after the engine cools down. Taryl has a good video on how the autochoke system works.