Push mower wont stay running unless I hold air vane open for 45sec

moebattler

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Push mower wont stay running unless I hold air vane open for 45sec
Great response thank you - I guess I am holding the choke OFF to keep it from shutting off. I replaced the air vane spring and that seems tight. But I did not replace the choke return spring ..maybe that is my next thing to try. Thanks again

Attachments

• air vane spring.JPG
    air vane spring.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 8
  • spring choke return.JPG
    spring choke return.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 9

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Great response thank you - I guess I am holding the choke OFF to keep it from shutting off. I replaced the air vane spring and that seems tight. But I did not replace the choke return spring ..maybe that is my next thing to try. Thanks again
These air vane chokes are very touchy and the correct spring tension is the key. Spring could have been replaced (incorrectly), or have wrong tension and causing problem.

moebattler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a difference between the
690354 CHOKE RETURN SPRING
699056 GOVERNOR SPRING

I see where the Governor Spring goes but cannot find where Choke Return Spring is installed?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Is there a difference between the
690354 CHOKE RETURN SPRING
699056 GOVERNOR SPRING

I see where the Governor Spring goes but cannot find where Choke Return Spring is installed?
Yes they are different springs. The choke return spring stretches across the top of the carb from the choke shaft to a bracket that is actually part of the carb.

moebattler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks - see pic. Air vane spring and Governor spring shown. You are saying the Choke Return Spring is underneath the metal plate?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 35

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Thanks - see pic. Air vane spring and Governor spring shown. You are saying the Choke Return Spring is underneath the metal plate?
No but I may have to plead ignorant on this one. Yours is different than the ones I've seen. I don't think yours uses a choke return spring. Like you, I don't see where it could go and with what the air vane spring looks to do I don't see the need for a choke return spring. The ones I have seen have the spring and the mounting points for the spring all incorporated as part of the carb itself. Yours is a different set up so I may have to yield to someone more familiar.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me it looks like both springs are hooked up correctly, but the choke return spring looks a little taut.

bnicol456

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you adjust the air vane when you replaced the thermostat? Sounds to me like the choke is not opening properly on startup. Should have been instructions on how to adjust with the new thermostat.
Yes, sounds like a choke. If it was working before, you may want to spray with WD40 or something like that first to see it it is just stuck. I would try that first before adjusting.

Smokindog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower model - Troy-Bilt 12AV566N011
Briggs Stratton model - 126T02-0487-B1
Auto Choke

Problem:
Mower sputters after start and eventually shuts off. Found if i manually hold the air vane arm open for 45sec to 1min...everything warms up and the mower runs fine. I have to do this for every cold start.

What i did:
Replaced gasoline
Changed oil
Replaced spark plug
Cleaned carb
Replaced spring which controls air vane
Replaced thermostat (which pushes against the air vane to open)
Did not replace air vane itself because its just a piece of plastic and seems like in fine shape.

So the mower works fine after what I mentioned but quite a pain to hold that open after every start.

Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks
R U burning "corn liquor"? Find a non-ethanol station near you and use zero corn. Also, buy a bottle of your favorite gas stabilizer and add it to your gas can before each fillup at the 2 year rate. Your problems will likely go away over time in ALL your small engines. MY rule of thumb, if it's less than 25HP this is what I do.

Also, when you replaced the carb, make sure you got the spring for the governor back in the right hole. I've made that mistake before with similar results.

Tom O'

Threads
Mower model - Troy-Bilt 12AV566N011
Briggs Stratton model - 126T02-0487-B1
Auto Choke

Problem:
Mower sputters after start and eventually shuts off. Found if i manually hold the air vane arm open for 45sec to 1min...everything warms up and the mower runs fine. I have to do this for every cold start.

What i did:
Replaced gasoline
Changed oil
Replaced spark plug
Cleaned carb
Replaced spring which controls air vane
Replaced thermostat (which pushes against the air vane to open)
Did not replace air vane itself because its just a piece of plastic and seems like in fine shape.

So the mower works fine after what I mentioned but quite a pain to hold that open after every start.

Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks
Carburetor fuel/air mixture needs adjusting - my first opnion. Idle may need adjustment during/afterwards as the fuel/air is altered.