Pulley Problem

moangrass

Threads
I rebuilt the mower deck on my Craftsman GT3000 tractor last spring. After grinding off the rust, epoxying the underside and painting it, I replaced several pulleys, belts, and one of the bearing/blade holder assemblies. Yesterday while mowing, I heard a loud squeal followed by smoke and burning rubber. Pulled it into the garage, and this AM I pulled the deck. The drive belt for the deck was twisted and frayed.

The cause was separation of the top and bottom halves of one of the new replacement pulleys. (See Picture). I bought all of my parts from eBay, since Sears is pretty much gone and has only a few parts available for shipping sometime in this century. Despite paying a bit more for "OEM" parts I have to wonder if the parts I bought really are OEM. After all, the original pulleys and belts on this tractor only lasted 20 odd years. (When I rebuilt the deck, one of the pulleys (not this one) had similarly failed, but it did not eat the belt.)

Is this a common problem? Can I expect a new pulley to also bite the dust in a matter of months? I mow about 3/4 acre every other week during the growing season. The tractor usually logs fewer than 50 hours a year - probably a lot closer to 20 or 30. Note that in the picture I've not started loosening the retaining nut. What you see is what I saw when I yanked the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_6689.jpg
    IMG_6689.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6690.jpg
    IMG_6690.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 96

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No it is not a common problem even with after market parts. It appears the pulley was defective to start with.

A second just because Sears is not carrying many of the parts doesn't mean Husqvarna doesn't have the parts for the mower. Craftsman didn't make the mower but has it made by Husqvarna. Third eBay is called RipBay for a reason. The 146763 (4.25 V-idler) superseded to 532146763 > 593787801 is still available. But if you wish a good aftermarket pulley either Stens 280-714 or Rotary 12620 would be a good choice but the costs are about the same as OEM pulley.

moangrass

Threads
But if you wish a good aftermarket pulley either Stens 280-714 or Rotary 12620
The Stens website says you must be a dealer and logged in to buy from them. Who else (retailer/distributor) carries Stens parts?

Edit: I just did a search (memo to me, search first, ask questions later) and found Stens pulleys on ebay. Looks exactly the same down to the rivets. The pic on Stens website did not show the rivets.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
The Stens website says you must be a dealer and logged in to buy from them. Who else (retailer/distributor) carries Stens parts?

Edit: I just did a search (memo to me, search first, ask questions later) and found Stens pulleys on ebay. Looks exactly the same down to the rivets. The pic on Stens website did not show the rivets.
Sounds like a defective part. I have bought lots of aftermarket parts from Amazon and EBay and overall, have had great service, quality, and price. Even if you are a dealer with Stens, to get free shipping, they have a $170 minimum order. Based on tiered volume pricing, the Stens representative told me they are about 14% lower than Amazon (not that much). When you only need one pulley, that is why I often end up ordering it on Amazon.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

Must be looking at a different website. Here is what I getting.
1698752563853.png
For some reason Stens is not giving me any discount on this pulley.

moangrass

Threads
Must be looking at a different website. Here is what I getting.
View attachment 67179
For some reason Stens is not giving me any discount on this pulley.
In the upper right corner of your picture, it says Welcome and below that My Account. I tried again and a different page offered me an account and said "Become a Dealer". So I was mistaken. Run of the mill public can create an account and buy from them. Dealers probably get a bigger discount.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
In the upper right corner of your picture, it says Welcome and below that My Account. I tried again and a different page offered me an account and said "Become a Dealer". So I was mistaken. Run of the mill public can create an account and buy from them. Dealers probably get a bigger discount.
After expressing interest in doing business with Stens early this Spring via the Internet, a representative called me. Said he would be in my area and come by my shop. No call and no show and never heard back from them. Also, they were not at the Equipment Expo this year. Business must be good for Stens…