Pull Cord Repair

tsfrance

Threads
I have a 20 year old Sears tiller that has never failed me but the other day the pull cord broke and I need to replace it. The engine is Briggs & Stratton. I have removed 3 bolts and the shield starts to pull off but I can tell there is one more bolt somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas on where I should look. Here are some pics of what I removed. Thank you.

qLjhH20.jpg

XOVxiTx.jpg

Romore

Threads
There is a fourth bolt hidden behind behind the throttle control plate under the carburetor

Romore

Threads
You may need to rmove the throtlle control plate, two bolts.

tsfrance

Threads
I found the bolt as it just had some grease on it and the piece came off nicely. I noticed that the old rope was attached to the pulley on the motor but just trying it out I did not do that. I ran the rope through the part that came off and put it on and it will pull the pulley but does not recoil back inside. I am going to try some youtube videos and see if i can find a step by step and if not I will take some pictures. I know I can start it with that cover off but would that be bad for it with dust and all? Way back in the old days thats how these things were started. Im just curious.

Edit: Ok I tried it backwards. I put the rope into the hole and then tied the end and then wound it around the piece that came off. Two videos I show had you wind the pulley 7 times and then put a screwdriver there to hold tension and then connect the rope and then remove the screwdriver and let the pulley wind the rope in. Looked really easy. I will try it tomorrow.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep,
That is the way to do it
wind the spring upas far as it will go then back off till the hole in the cover & hole in the pulley line up
Feed the rope through both of them, tie is off, remove the screwdriver or whatever else you have used to hold the pulley and allow the rope to feed through .
If it is coming off a reel , let the spring go slack, pull about 1 foot out , Cut the rope then feed it through the handle .
\If it is a precut length then just put the handle on the other end first
You might need to back the spring off one turn by hooking the rope up through the notch in the pulley ( if it has one ) and allowing the pulley to unwind one turn.