PTO Clutch Problem

ChairChris

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks,

New member here. I own a ten-year-old Husqvarna YTH1542XP with a 15hp Kawasaki V-twin. Last week the PTO clutch frooze, causing the engine to stall. The fuse also blow, maybe when the clutch frooze or maybe when I tried to re-start the engine. I have installed a new clutch, but I'm having trouble getting power to it. I can confirm that the clutch works and the electrical connection to the clutch is good. I can get power to the clutch if I by-pass the switch (red wire) and the relay (black wire). My guess is that I fried something else electrical. I think it might be the relay, which also connects to the switch, but I don't know how to test the relay.

If anyone can help, I'd be most appreciative.

Many thanks,
Chris

barber107

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks, EngineMan. Both the switch and the relay were bad. Seems to be working now. I appreciate the help.

Best,
Chris

Sorry for pulling up an old post...not sure if this will get any attention, but if not I'll create my own.

I have what seems to be a similar problem. I almost assuredly made it worse, by not understanding what was going on.

Basically, while cutting my mower shut off. It took me a while to realize the fuse had blown (been mowing with it for 5 years and never had that happen). I reset the fuse and the mower started, but immediately died when I tried to engage the blades.

Instead of doing some research or talking to a nearby shop, I fooled around with the mower until the switch for the blades has no impact.

I've since started researching and it looks like the clutch had probably gone bad, but my fooling with it may have zapped the switch, and/or the fuse, and/or the relay.

I have tested the fuse with a multimeter and there is no OL accoss the terminals, so I think it is fine.

I have a buddy bringing me an impact to try to take off the clutch to test it, but I need to figure out how to test the relay and the switch.

I think I understand testing the relay from the video above. Any easy test on the switch?

Thanks for the help.