PTO/Clutch Issue

bamadirtrider

Threads
Once you get down to under 1 ohm its takes a milliohms meter to measure that and most el cheapo meters simply can't read accurately this low.

But yes a clutch that is partially shorted can still operate but will over the charging system and a lot of the time start melting connector and burn off wire insulation. That PTO clutch should not be pulling more 7 amps at the most so install a 7.5 amp inline with the clutch and if blows replace the clutch.
He put an inline fuse of 7.5A in circuit and blew it immediately: the blades didn't even try to turn. So He'll be ordering a clutch.
Thanks for the info. Now to find the best deal on a clutch. Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
about a 2019 model.
Scag PN 462339 around $400

Xtreme X0651 (order thru Stens or Xtreme, One year warranty). About $260, Better clutch and less than the price of the Scag if you buy direct and install it yourself but please the install instructions.

bamadirtrider

Threads
about a 2019 model.
Scag PN 462339 around $400

Xtreme X0651 (order thru Stens or Xtreme, One year warranty). About $260, Better clutch and less than the price of the Scag if you buy direct and install it yourself but please the install instructions.
Thanks for the help. Will do.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will double up on what Star said
I managed to totally stuff an Extreme clutch by using my rattle gun
Expensive lesson learned
Had to make an offset open ender from some scrap 3/16" steel plate to hold the crankshaft from turning while tensioning the clutch.
And I know it will sound silly, but the dome washer ( where fitted ) is a lock washer and yo goes on so the bolt head compresses the dome

bamadirtrider

Threads
I will double up on what Star said
I managed to totally stuff an Extreme clutch by using my rattle gun
Expensive lesson learned
Had to make an offset open ender from some scrap 3/16" steel plate to hold the crankshaft from turning while tensioning the clutch.
And I know it will sound silly, but the dome washer ( where fitted ) is a lock washer and yo goes on so the bolt head compresses the dome
Appreciate that info. Will tell my neighbor to read up some before attempting replacement!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Copy of instructions and warning label just in case you don' t get them. Also make sure you
use anti seize compound when installing on the crankshaft. The next tech will thank you.

1710764528170.png
1710764607478.png
Image of the warning label, ignore the tools as those are installing a different style of
clutch but the warning is the same. Proprietary custom tool masked out. Not used on
Scag setup.
1710765361360.png

bamadirtrider

Threads
Copy of instructions and warning label just in case you don' t get them. Also make sure you
use anti seize compound when installing on the crankshaft. The next tech will thank you.

View attachment 68085
View attachment 68086
Image of the warning label, ignore the tools as those are installing a different style of
clutch but the warning is the same. Proprietary custom tool masked out. Not used on
Scag setup.
View attachment 68089
Awesome info. Might have just saved him some extra dough! Appreciate it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Over the years I have gotten smarter or perhaps lazier not sure
Now when I fit a clutch I run a stud up the crankshaft , slide the clutch up till it just touched the end of the crankshaft then tighten a wing nut to draw the clutch up
So much easier than trying to hold it up laying on your back with the pulley in front of your nose .
The when you get to slot for the key it is just a case of a bit of a jiggle to make sure it is lined up.
Extreme put a square punch mark in the clutch to show you where the key is which is very civilised of them and was not in my instructions .
Still takes me 1/2 hour then again I could never get an LP record on the turntable is one shot either .