Pros and Cons of Lawn Tractors vs Garden Tractors vs Zero Turn

robert

Threads
  • / Pros and Cons of Lawn Tractors vs Garden Tractors vs Zero Turn
:anyone::anyone:

fastback

Threads
I don't know much about zero turn I have only used a Kut-quick (spelling?). $25,000 + . The machine was originally designed for hills and highway cutting.

I have never owned a lawn tractor my thinking has always been go as heavy duty as possible especially if you have rough grounds. The garden trator would most likely last longer plus you have more flexability in terms of yard work.

earthworm

Threads
Hey that thing is slick, I wish someone here sold the things so I could really get a good look :thumbsup: if you want to check it out the links below.
Convertible Mowers
Thanks for the link, Ric
The convertible is most interesting, design-wise, and it must be expensive.
For me, on 1/2 acre, I think a wide walk behind would be sufficient...If I were wealthy, the conv. would make a nice "toy".
Love to buy one used...
No machine, IMO, can do everything well - there is always compromise....this can be the 800 pound gorilla....or a playful pup...
Post one is the title page, post 2 is ??, I think I know....I am not the only man with personality disorder.....

Tindal

Threads
Ask Robert , he read it and will tell you where he read it , so it must be true!

robert

Threads
Well according to the op there is a pro for one make and one make only zero turn, Cub Cadet- just like every lawn/garden tractor I am aware of alot of Cub zero turns have as a factory option a front blade. Ric, this means that if you want to push with a zt designed to push-just like tractors, you gotta go Cub or go without a blade :wink: :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

The -con- of course is that the Cub cannot push as much as the GT series machines.....but hey, at least a Cub zt can push something-so say the great people at MTD.

Like I state those who recognize true value and high quality at the best pricing in the industry are not afraid to go yellow (and off white)...

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
This seems to have gotten off course; I have used lawn tractors and garden tractors and test drove a zero turn (poorly); my opinions follow.

The lawn tractor is a good riding lawn mower with limited other uses such as pulling a cart, etc. Depending on the make, it may or may not have the ability to mount ground engaging tools. Usually the lowest cost.

The Garden tractor is heavier duty, with a higher price tag. Besides mowing and towing, there is usually a rototiller and or moldboard plow offered, front blades, a snowblower, etc. Some even offer a front bucket. Kind of the McGuyver of small tractors.

The zero turn is a specialized tool for grass cutting. Manueverability and speed of cutting with a price tag. Limited utility.

Obviously I favor the garden tractor. Slightly heavier contruction, more power, more versatility.

As an example, right now, if I got my place in the country, I'd like a JD 310 (hydrostatic, power lift and power steering) with a mower, cart, and the front blade for light landscaping and the occasional snow we get in SE Virginia.

jenkinsph

Threads
This seems to have gotten off course; I have used lawn tractors and garden tractors and test drove a zero turn (poorly); my opinions follow.

The lawn tractor is a good riding lawn mower with limited other uses such as pulling a cart, etc. Depending on the make, it may or may not have the ability to mount ground engaging tools. Usually the lowest cost.

The Garden tractor is heavier duty, with a higher price tag. Besides mowing and towing, there is usually a rototiller and or moldboard plow offered, front blades, a snowblower, etc. Some even offer a front bucket. Kind of the McGuyver of small tractors.

The zero turn is a specialized tool for grass cutting. Manueverability and speed of cutting with a price tag. Limited utility.

Obviously I favor the garden tractor. Slightly heavier contruction, more power, more versatility.

As an example, right now, if I got my place in the country, I'd like a JD 310 (hydrostatic, power lift and power steering) with a mower, cart, and the front blade for light landscaping and the occasional snow we get in SE Virginia.

I suspect the new 310 might be an okay mower but the front blade would have very limited abilities for landscape work. You need atleast three times the weight to be very effective, I use an x749 to touch up with in close quarters and it saves alot of hand labor. The 60hp compact tractor does the majority of the work for me though. So if you get a "place in the country" you might well be better off with something alot more substancial.

earthworm

Threads
Well according to the op there is a pro for one make and one make only zero turn, Cub Cadet- just like every lawn/garden tractor I am aware of alot of Cub zero turns have as a factory option a front blade. Ric, this means that if you want to push with a zt designed to push-just like tractors, you gotta go Cub or go without a blade :wink: :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

The -con- of course is that the Cub cannot push as much as the GT series machines.....but hey, at least a Cub zt can push something-so say the great people at MTD.

Like I state those who recognize true value and high quality at the best pricing in the industry are not afraid to go yellow (and off white)...
To me, this makes very limited sense...."robert", I think you have swallowed knowledge hook, line , and sinker....the price for being a fish...
I, on the other hand, will report back with some first hand knowledge after I purchase a ZT, a small unit for my 0.46 acre "lawn"....
I'll keep the MF for snow-moval, if necessary....
I have room to "waste".
My son-in-law does not.
He mows his 0.046 acre by hand, using a reel mower..no ZT for him!
What I champion is using the best equipment for any task, with minimal waste.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Key word was light - probably spreading gravel in the driveway or underlayment for a brick patio. The blade would be mostly for the snow we get once or twice a year; it seems like we are getting at least one heavy snow a year now. If money was no object I'd buy a CUT.

robert

Threads
earthworm, I REPLACED an Exmark Quest that I bought new for a Cub Cadet GT2000, also new; for ME the Cub does everything the Quest did only better AND I can tow about a ton with the Cub AND AND I mow in just about the same amount of time with the Cub as I did with the Quest AND AND AND
I am much more comfortable on the Cub that I was on the Quest.

But this is just my own experience.