Problem with Stihl FS 130 Drive Shaft

rollincode3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Stihl FS 130 and am having a problem getting it to work. It has worked normally up until about a month ago. I was using it without any problems for about 2 hours when the head stopped spinning. The engine is working normally and the drive shaft was spinning but the head would not rotate, as if it was disconnected from the drive shaft. I removed the plastic head and tried to spin it and I could manually rotate it but I could feel the drive shaft was not spinning.

I took off the metal head connection to I could see the drive shaft. I manually turned the drive shaft cable and could see it was still attached at the motor. I hooked it back up and it still would not spin. I bought a new replacement head (the entire metal piece, not just the plastic cutting head) and attached it and it spun for about 2 seconds but then would not spin anymore. I took off the metal head again and it almost seems like the drive shaft cable is a few centimeters too short to connect with the square groove inside the metal head. I pulled the drive shaft cable out a bit and then reconnected the metal head, and then pushed the head and cable back inside the tube and when I manually rotated it the head and drive cable would rotate but I could see it was not rotating where the drive shaft connects to the motor. I used a hammer and slightly tapped on the head to try and push it back farther and that worked and the whole drive shaft started rotating again. I tightened everything again and powered it up and the head spun, but only for a few seconds before it just stopped spinning again. I can hear the drive shaft cable still spinning inside the shaft it just won't reach the cutting head.

The length of the drive shaft cable seems fine based on what I've seen online photo wise. When it is fully connected into the drive shaft it is flush with the end of the shaft.

Can someone please help me with this problem?? What am I doing wrong?? What caused this to happen in the first place??