Pressure Washer Questions - RY80940B

shurguywutt

Threads
I have a Ryobi 3100 PSI pressure washer with a Honda GCV190. I have gotten some good use out of it over the years but it is starting to show its age. If you are familiar with these type of pressure washers, they have an "idle down" feature that is a pressure valve on the pump connected to a cable which attaches to the throttle linkage on the carb. I figure this functions by applying throttle to the engine when internal pump pressure is low (trigger on pressure washer is pressed). When the trigger is released, pressure builds in the pump and the throttle lowers back down to an idle RPM on the motor.

Now here is where the "showing it's age" starts coming in. This pressure valve on the pump that controls the idle down is shot. It is seized up and I have tried opening it to free it up to no avail; I am thinking some seals have hardened along with dirt and debris which has caused it to become inoperable and I am unable to open it/clean it. This problem renders the pressure washer to only partially usable at best.

To remedy this issue, I removed the spring that attaches from "idle down" cable and attached it to the stock engine mount instead like this:
throttle2.jpeg

So now the unit works and I can use it but it is always at high RPMs which is expected after this mod. Now when I start the engine I just start pressure cleaning right away and when I am finished I turn the engine off right away.

The part number for a new pump is 308653064 (including a new idle down assembly) but I do not want to drop $189 on a pump if I can continue to use it like this for now until the pump totally dies. There are also generic pumps online that don't include the idle down portion. The Honda engine is rock solid and it is a shame the pump portion of the machine is so poor.

I have always maintained this unit to the best of my ability with regular engine maintenance, never running the engine without water flowing to the pump, letting the pump cool with water flowing through it for a few minutes after use and the engine is off, when done pressure washing I always use a pump conditioner to lube the internal components of the pump after use, etc.

Does anyone have experience/advice with this?