Prefer annual or perennial flowers?

Harriet

Threads
Do you prefer annual or perennial flowers? I have some of each, but in all honesty, I think I prefer annual flowers because they bloom continuously.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I love flowers... I don't really go out of my way to grow them, I should, they do brighten things up...
My favorite is a Tulip... that seems to be the perfect flower, but it also seems to be the most work... :smile:KennyV

sunny

Threads
I prefer the annuals but I have some of both usually. I just wish I had more of a green thumb so I didn't lose so many of them!

AndyMan

Threads
We have perennials in the gardens around the house. The worst of those as far as maintenance are hostas and oregano. The hostas get so massive that we are running out of places to transplant the offshoots. The oregano just takes over everything, and we have to rip it all out every few years.

The annuals we put in planters near the driveway. Mostly petunias, but sometimes pansies.

grnspot110

Threads
We plant several of both! Seldom get around to dividing Hostas & Daylilies like I should, have lots of both. ~~ grnspot110

monica123

Threads
I love flowers in general, I have all types growing. Can I ask how tulips are so much work? I planted mine over 15 years ago and haven't touched them since.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I love flowers in general, I have all types growing. Can I ask how tulips are so much work? I planted mine over 15 years ago and haven't touched them since.

I have always been told that you need to dig up the bulbs and freeze them every winter for at least 6 to 8 wks then replant them in the spring ... if they didn't freeze for the proper time they would not bloom...
Around this part of Kansas we usually don't get that continuous freeze (usually)... :smile:KennyV

jenkinsph

Threads
I grow annuals in hanging pots now, I like flower beds but the deer around my customers eat everything. I also like bulbs and found an auger bit with a large right angle drill makes their planting a quick task. In most cases it is recommended to dig them up and freeze them as Kenny mentioned.

NickNack

Threads
In most cases it is recommended to dig them up and freeze them as Kenny mentioned.

So if I live in the northeast where the ground freezes every year then I don't have to dig up my bulbs, is that right?

monica123

Threads
I have always been told that you need to dig up the bulbs and freeze them every winter for at least 6 to 8 wks then replant them in the spring ... if they didn't freeze for the proper time they would not bloom...
Around this part of Kansas we usually don't get that continuous freeze (usually)... :smile:KennyV

Oh, we don't dig them up here. We have to dig up things like gladiolus and dahlia's but not tulips, daffodils, lilies or hyacinths. My Tulips always bloom.