Pre-buy Inspection Grasshopper 725

awyaks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to purchase a 2000 Grasshopper 725 with grass catcher and plow, 1800 hrs. Seems to be well maintained, but wondering if there's anything specific I would be looking for. How do you tell if the hydros are worn, or about to go? In forward, the left steering arm is about 1 inch ahead of the right one. Should this be a concern at all?

Also, does anyone have experience with a grasshopper plow (or blower for that matter) on a gravel drive? How difficult is it to control depth to keep from plowing rocks?

Thanks!

MBDiagMan

Threads
I can't respond to your direct questions, but I bought a used 725K2 yesterday.

It sounds as if you've already driven it. Did the deck make any noise, if so spindles need attention. If you can do the work yourself it won't cost much for bearings and fiber washers that you need.

Did you run the power vac and make sure it worked and didn't make any noise?

Did it start easily and run well? Did it appear to have been well maintained?

I was hoping someone could answer your biggest concern, the drives. I THINK that the 2000 model had the older Gemini drive system, which I have read is problematic. If it has the newer G2 drive system, I have read that it is more trouble free. Regardless of which system it has, you have already wisely found something to be concerned about. On mine, you can push both handles to their stops and the mower goes straight. Since you are not seeing this, you are justified in being suspicious of drive problems. OTOH, it could simply be an adjustment or something.

Wish I could be more help,
Larry

awyaks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info and thoughts. This does have the G2 system, so that's a definate plus. Also I talked to a grasshopper shop today about the handles not being in the same position to go straight, and that's a simple adjustment.

The deck and bagging system don't sound abnormal. But then again, I don't have any experience of what normal is...

MBDiagMan

Threads
I think that if the deck and power vac were noisy, you would know it. I got through refurbing my deck and ran it tonight. The only noise I now hear is an air wooshing noise, but no mechanical or metallic sounds.

The response from the shop is good news ASIs the fact that it is a G2 system. Everything sounds pretty good so far.

Keep us posted.
Larry

awyaks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I went back and re-test drove the GH. Just air noises from the deck and everything seems to work well - except battery light stays on. It appeared to be fairly well maintained and was able to negotiate a deal, so I'm now a happy 725G2 owner. I'll have to look into the battery light - hopefully it's just the battery. The current one is 3 years old. Also it's due for a hydro fluid change. The fluid looks clean as new though, but the previous owner hasn't changed it in the 7 years he's owned it. Now the machine has 1800 hours on it. The 25HP Kubota gas is a smooth runner - plenty of power for cutting & bagging! I parked it on cement after the first cutting and didn't find a single drop of oil under it the next day. That's unheard of with the old ricketies I'm used to!

MBDiagMan

Threads
Sounds great aw!

I'm envious of that Kubota engine. I am spoiled to the smooth and quiet liquid cooled Kawasaki in my old mower and thought long and hard before compromising on the air cooled Kohler in my 725K2.

IF the hydro pumps and motors were to ever give trouble, they are expen$ive to buy from Grasshopper, but there are hydraulic shops around that can rebuild them. The G2 is known as a long lived and reliable system.

Keep us posted
Larry

Hoppalong

Forum Newbie
Threads
HI,

I have a newly purchased 2009 752 with 842 hours. I also have steering levers which stop at different spots at the full forward position, and the mower curves slowly to the right. You mention correcting this is a simple operation. I'd appreciate knowing what's involved. Also I purchased the mower and deck manual, but it isn't clear how to accomplish the adjustment. If I can answer questions from the manuals, let me know! By the way 1) they were inexpensive, $15.00 total with shipping 2) They don't explain much!! Sigh...

Hoppalong

bobbysr

Threads
The G2 trans fluid is expensive. Around $20 a quart. It's suppose to be changed every 1000 hours. The battery light is probably a voltage regulator issue. I had the same thing happen on my 2004 725. I have a 60" plow and it works great. The scraper bar can be flipped over and used twice. I don't even buy them from Grasshopper anymore. I get a heavier piece of metal & make my own. As for a gravel drive it might be hard not to plow up rocks. I also have a 48" snowthrower that eats snow for lunch. I believe G2 transmissions came out in 1998. My 99 had a G2. My 97 had a G1.

MBDiagMan

Threads
Hoppalong,

There are a few links connected at the bottom of the levers below the front of the seat. I'm quite confident that by lengthening or shortening them individually, you can properly position your levers and get it to run straight. A little experimentation should set it going straight.

Hope this helps.

bobbysr

Threads
At the bottom of the levers, the holes are oval. Loosen both bolts adjust lever & tighten. If you start changing the actual linkage, it will make the mower drive un-true.