Power Rakes

LoCo86

Threads
I saw a "power rake" for rent at a home supply store. Is it worth my while to rent something like this occasionally during the fall?

You can take a "plug" sample from different places in your yard and look to see how much thatch build up you have. If you have less than 1/2 of an inch then I wouldn't worry about using a power rake but if you have a good 1/2 inch or more then it would be a great idea to aerate then power rake. But before you do those two things you should mow your lawn the lowest you can for your grass type, so not to harm your grass and keep from scalping your lawn. Also make sure you bag the clippings when you do this. After mowing, aerating, and power raking go back over you lawn with your mower with a collection system and pick up the thatch and the plugs created from the aeration and power raking.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can take a "plug" sample from different places in your yard and look to see how much thatch build up you have. If you have less than 1/2 of an inch then I wouldn't worry about using a power rake but if you have a good 1/2 inch or more then it would be a great idea to aerate then power rake. But before you do those two things you should mow your lawn the lowest you can for your grass type, so not to harm your grass and keep from scalping your lawn. Also make sure you bag the clippings when you do this. After mowing, aerating, and power raking go back over you lawn with your mower with a collection system and pick up the thatch and the plugs created from the aeration and power raking.

Should aerate after power raking. And leave the plugs.... It adds to the loose soil...

LoCo86

Threads
Should aerate after power raking. And leave the plugs.... It adds to the loose soil...

I usually just let the power rake beat most of the plugs and pulverize the biggest part of the plugs which will still leave loose soil. The same effec either way I suppose it just leaves a cleaner finish.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I usually just let the power rake beat most of the plugs and pulverize the biggest part of the plugs which will still leave loose soil. The same effec either way I suppose it just leaves a cleaner finish.

Guess that's true. For core aeration I usually do it early spring hit it hard with fertilizer. Between the rain and rapid.grass growth the plugs are dissolved and or not seen

LoCo86

Threads
Guess that's true. For core aeration I usually do it early spring hit it hard with fertilizer. Between the rain and rapid.grass growth the plugs are dissolved and or not seen

I aerate, power rake (only power rake about every other year) and over seed in the autumn.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Power raking can be very good for a lawn and can generate good profits in a short time. My dethatcher paid itself after about 2-3 day's work.