Powder Coating Anyone?

d_sharier

Threads
I am going to start a restoration on one of my 5006 brick tops in the next week or 2. I am considering looking into powder coating the deck and shroud. I haven't went this route before. I'm just curious if anyone else has been through this process and what their experience has been? Is it cost effective? Longevity and durability of finish? Any thoughts or experience shared would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is a very interesting topic -- but one which I know little about.

Wikipedia on Powder Coating -- I had only a vague idea what it is until I read this.

I'll add a question: is it feasible as a DIY process? Or... how expensive is the equipment?

BWH

Threads
Powder Coating is very durable but due to the process of baking the powder to the surface it could be an expensive DYI project. It may be more affordable to find a local shop that takes on small projects. I have a local Rod-Iron manufacturer that will do side projects, I have seen everything from bicycle frames to full stock car frames come out of the booth. I believe you would have to do the whole deck top and bottom but not sure. These guys are fairly reasonable as far as painting goes.

d_sharier

Threads
Powder Coating is very durable but due to the process of baking the powder to the surface it could be an expensive DYI project. It may be more affordable to find a local shop that takes on small projects. I have a local Rod-Iron manufacturer that will do side projects, I have seen everything from bicycle frames to full stock car frames come out of the booth. I believe you would have to do the whole deck top and bottom but not sure. These guys are fairly reasonable as far as painting goes.

I have a friend that bought a second hand electric oven and has started doing small pieces parts, in basic colors (black, blue) with pretty good success. I'm sure there is a learning curve. I thought given the size of a mower deck, even a 19 inch push, it maybe difficult to find an oven that will be large enough. That coupled with the Lawn-Boy green color steers me from trying it myself right out the gate. I'd like to see what a professional job looks like first. There are a few companies local to me that advertise "no job too small". I am sure it's more like " No job too small, as long as Your wallet isn't too thin!" LOL . I haven't got an actual quote yet, but I have heard rumors ranging from $50-$80. When I paint one of these decks: I strip it down to the bare metal with a combination of stripper and sanding. Usually 2 cans of primer, 2 cans of color, and 2 cans of clear, with a little of each left over for the next. I use the Duplicolor ceramic paint, only because it hasn't disappointed me yet. That stuff is $7 a can. So if I get by with using 5 cans that is $35. Given the time involved with prep work, sanding in between coats, buffing, and then waiting for it to fully cure, the $50-$80 price point seems attractive. There is something to be said for handing over a deck and a little bit of cash and picking it back up a few days later, ready to work. LOL. Once I get a few quotes here locally, I will post some numbers. I have heard that "they" are very successful at color matching too. So we will see.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By far the best thing you can do is the full POR 15 route and you can do all that with a brush while you breathe.
Once fully cured the POR 15 is unremovable by any mechanical means will never wear through and never rust underneath as it chemically combines with the steel.
Only down side ( and the way to remove it ) is POR 15 base coat is not UV stable so you must finish off with a top coat & their enamel top coat is excellent.
the chassis paint has a short shelf life and once opened the can will go off no matter what you do so only buy the size cans you need as you need them.
BVrushes can not be washed so they become throw away items thus don't use expensive brushes.
It is thinner than water and will self level ( no brush marks ).
Stock & trade for most car restorers

jp1961

Threads
Powder coating sounds interesting. Will be interesting to see how it holds up, especially under the deck. I wonder if epoxy based paint would be an alternative. Something like Imron.

bt3

Threads
Powder Coating to me is something I'd not personally consider for a Lawnmower, unless I was going to put it in a museum or just have it as a showpiece and wanted it to look just so. It's very expensive and thus I see it mostly done on custom work on Motorcycles or other items that need to look great but may get some abuse out in the elements. If you ever watched "American Chopper" or "American Restoration" you see them Powder Coat a lot of items that are going to be showpieces.

This being said, if you have the means, why not? You can Powder Coat anything that can take the baking process, if you have the funds and the interest. Why not a Lawnmower? It's just something I would not do. I'd not do Lacquer paint either. Too much fussing, coatings, drips, runs, etc. I spent years perfecting my Lacquer technique when I was into body work and wanted to use Lacquer. Big PITA for me....But.... to each their own. I've actually thought about using Lacquer on my Snapper, but quickly dismissed this as too much work. I just bought some touch-up paint and left it at that.

Keep us posted. I bet it would look good. Sure would be durable.

d_sharier

Threads
bt3
Re: Powder Coating Anyone?

Powder Coating to me is something I'd not personally consider for a Lawnmower, unless I was going to put it in a museum or just have it as a showpiece and wanted it to look just so. It's very expensive and thus I see it mostly done on custom work on Motorcycles or other items that need to look great but may get some abuse out in the elements. If you ever watched "American Chopper" or "American Restoration" you see them Powder Coat a lot of items that are going to be showpieces.

This being said, if you have the means, why not? You can Powder Coat anything that can take the baking process, if you have the funds and the interest. Why not a Lawnmower? It's just something I would not do. I'd not do Lacquer paint either. Too much fussing, coatings, drips, runs, etc. I spent years perfecting my Lacquer technique when I was into body work and wanted to use Lacquer. Big PITA for me....But.... to each their own. I've actually thought about using Lacquer on my Snapper, but quickly dismissed this as too much work. I just bought some touch-up paint and left it at that.

Keep us posted. I bet it would look good. Sure would be durable.

I guess, for me, it will be a balance somewhere between time saved and money spent. When I restore a mower and work on the deck it is always an all or nothing thing. If I decide to paint it,then it is a long process. To strip the old finish off and sand the rest to bare metal. Then primer it, wet sand. Then color, wet sand. Then clear, wet sand, and lastly buff. To do one deck usually cost around $55 in paint and materials (sand paper, stripper, etc.) Not to mention the time involved. Just prepping the deck takes a few hours. Then the time sanding and painting. On top of that waiting the full cure period before putting the machine to work. The Duplicolor that I use calls for something like a week, but in reality its more like 2-3. I think the 1 week period they call for is in only perfect conditions. One coat only, on a perfect sheet of metal, with a perfect prep, outside in hot sunny weather, you get my drift. In the real world, at least mine, it seems to be a minimum of 15 days to become a great, durable finish. Now the 2 estimates I have been given were both about $100 to do the deck and shroud of a 19 inch bricktop. That is prep work and all. I strip the deck of all ancillary parts and pull the shroud off the motor, take them to the shop and drop off. A few days later they will hand me back a finished, fully cured and ready to work product. In my mind it doesn't seem that expensive when compared to the alternative rattle can option. Especially considering the difference in durability difference.

We will see what happens. I will get started in the next couple of weeks. I report back on price, turn around time, and finished product.

unclelee

Threads
I seem to remember it being suggested not to powder coat the shroud but to paint it and coat the deck...something to do with a solder joint if I'm not mistaken. ..may not apply to your machine though...just something to be aware of...
Lee

bt3

Threads
I guess, for me, it will be a balance somewhere between time saved and money spent. When I restore a mower and work on the deck it is always an all or nothing thing. If I decide to paint it,then it is a long process. To strip the old finish off and sand the rest to bare metal. Then primer it, wet sand. Then color, wet sand. Then clear, wet sand, and lastly buff. To do one deck usually cost around $55 in paint and materials (sand paper, stripper, etc.) Not to mention the time involved. Just prepping the deck takes a few hours. Then the time sanding and painting. On top of that waiting the full cure period before putting the machine to work. The Duplicolor that I use calls for something like a week, but in reality its more like 2-3. I think the 1 week period they call for is in only perfect conditions. One coat only, on a perfect sheet of metal, with a perfect prep, outside in hot sunny weather, you get my drift. In the real world, at least mine, it seems to be a minimum of 15 days to become a great, durable finish. Now the 2 estimates I have been given were both about $100 to do the deck and shroud of a 19 inch bricktop. That is prep work and all. I strip the deck of all ancillary parts and pull the shroud off the motor, take them to the shop and drop off. A few days later they will hand me back a finished, fully cured and ready to work product. In my mind it doesn't seem that expensive when compared to the alternative rattle can option. Especially considering the difference in durability difference.

We will see what happens. I will get started in the next couple of weeks. I report back on price, turn around time, and finished product.

That makes perfect sense to me. Time is money. And, Powder Coating does look great, is durable, and would set the machine apart.
Please do keep us informed. I never really considered Powder Coating a mower, but now you've got me and probably some others interested. A professional Powder Coater with his shop of Sand Blasting and Prepping will have a mower deck looking great in a fraction of the time. You're just trading time for money. Can't wait to see the reports (and Pictures) if you decide to proceed.

Good thread. Thanks.