Poulan Wild Thing will start, idle, and throttle up. Once

kevin paul

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Poulan Wild Thing will start, idle, and throttle up. Once
Poulan Wild Thing chainsaw will start, idle, and throttle up. Once. When i let off the throttle, it dies. I can start it again, but it will only idle by itself. If I throttle up again, It dies as soon as I let off. Any advice or solutions will be appreciated

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
May just need a carb adjustment. I do over 100 every year. the skinny of it is you will need to obtain the illegal carb adjustment tool or go see your local poulan dealer and let him adjust it.

poloman

Threads
Note to self...stick with Stihl.

DaveTN

Threads
I worked on a ~~Wild Thang~~~ a couple of years ago and haven't since! I found it to be a highly temperamental carburetor and difficult to keep in adjustment. I'd get it running fine, cut some wood, go in for a drink and rest say 30 minutes, come out and it was hard to start. After much carb cleaning, tinkering with it, cursing it, and boiling the carb out, I got it running fairly well and took it back to the owner. Good Riddance!! As to helping out, here's a trick I use to get those pesky adjustment screws to work. Pull the plastic caps off the screws with pliers. Get an old ink pen and take the writing part out, cut the tip off to match the carb screws with a tight fit and use it to adjust them! Saves buying a fancy tool eh? Try richening up the H (High) side about 1/8 turn to see if it helps. Also the L (Low). Hope this helps. I'd get rid of it after you get it running.

kevin paul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response. Can I get a different carb? A lot of these tools use the same kind. Also, for the adjustment screws, you can buy a piece of metal tubing at the hardware store. Make sure it is a hair smaller than the screw and push it onto the screw. I learned this from a guy who works for an authorized repair shop. He told me because he couldn't sell me th tool, but he could sell me the rebuild kit. Useless without it

kevin paul

Forum Newbie
Threads
By the way, I was given this chainsaw. The motor seems to be in good shape. It starts easy and idles great til you throttle up. As soon as I let off the throttle, it dies

txzrider

Threads
does it have an air filter ? is it dirty?

DaveTN

Threads
By the way, I was given this chainsaw. The motor seems to be in good shape. It starts easy and idles great til you throttle up. As soon as I let off the throttle, it dies

If it starts good and idles good, then lays down on throttle up, then it has to be the low side needle adjustment needing enrichment. Turn it counter clockwise about 1/8 turn and that should help. Just keep bumping it back till it throttles up like it should. I was talking about those plastic turn limit adjusters. I just yank em out like pulling teeth and toss em. Most of the time the adjustments require more than the set limit on them.