Poulan Chainsaws?

bjc

Threads
Are they any good.

possum

Threads
Are you getting into the yard cleanup business lol? I have an 8 year old 3416 Poulan that is a great homeowner saw. The thing has saved me several thousand dollors . I have cut out after digging about thirty small stumps as well as four larger ones, cleaned up after two pretty major ice storms, cut up into firewood size about six matured hardwood trees and trimmed I do not know how many. I t is cold blooded until warmed up a bit but is a pretty solid saw. That being said I have heard hundreds of hate stories about them so buy from someone who does service or will allow a return if it does not run right. Those cheapo Stihl homeowner saws are about the same price and have good dealer backup. Most guys say they are a better saw than a Poulan, I have run both and can tell no difference. Stay away from tooless adjust as everyone i know who gets one has trouble with it. Buy one with the two studs sticking through the cover with nuts attached to it for the chain adjust. If you are serious about cutting firewood buy a pro saw, Stihl, Tanaka, Echo, something along that line.

bjc

Threads
I am looking it up for my dad, and thank you for not rampaging on me!!:laughing:

twinfords

Threads
older Poulan saws are great saws, the newer i will pass, buy Stihl, Husqvarna or echo, Makita, etc.

mullins87

Threads
For a homeowner that will use it occasionally, I think Poulans are okay. I have a 2150 that is probably 15 years old. I have no idea how many trees it has felled and cleaned up, but the number would be staggering considering that saw was probably never intended for this much use. I just recently traded out some welding work for a 20" Stihl 041AV that has seen very little use. I need a carb rebuild kit to get it running properly, but I can't wait to try it out on some larger trees.

tyjoja

Threads
I agree with the herd, I too had a 3416 and burn wood as a main heat source. I've probably cut 30 cord of wood with that poulan, and I bought it used. The thing would really rap. When it had trouble, no one would work on it. Said you couldn't buy parts for them, and I didn't know that much about fixing them then, (didn't have thishg forum then). Gave up and bought a husky. Good saw but I've went through 2 ignition modules in and husqvaurna is fairly proud of that part. Also picked up 2 stihl's on c.l. for a hundred recently and they seem to be good also. But for a homeowner who wants to use a saw4-5 times a year the poulans are a good bang for the buck, but shops don't like to work on them around Oregon.

MBTRAC

Threads
bjc- can you clarify if your intended use for the Poulan is the same as your recent "Stihl vs Husqvaurna" (sic) thread ?

That is from your posts in the "Stihl vs Husqvaurna" (sic) thread - use: "talking everyday for the next ten years" & "one small breakdown could cost me 500+ dollars a day" & later "my dad cuts big branches in our yard with a chainsaw, so he wanted me to check out new ones" ????

Must be one big yard you have with those big branches to use a chainsaw every day for the next years & somehow also cost $500+ a day for downtime......keep dreaming; seems with posts like these, you'll accrue the prerequisite posts to be a cyber platinum "expert" member in no time........I await your next/new "installments" with much interest as they always prove a source of mirth .....by the way it's actually called a Husqvarna....

Lawnranger

Threads
bjc- can you clarify if your intended use for the Poulan is the same as your recent "Stihl vs Husqvaurna" (sic) thread ?

That is from your posts in the "Stihl vs Husqvaurna" (sic) thread - use: "talking everyday for the next ten years" & "one small breakdown could cost me 500+ dollars a day" & later "my dad cuts big branches in our yard with a chainsaw, so he wanted me to check out new ones" ????

Must be one big yard you have with those big branches to use a chainsaw every day for the next years & somehow also cost $500+ a day for downtime......keep dreaming; seems with posts like these, you'll accrue the prerequisite posts to be a cyber platinum "expert" member in no time........I await your next/new "installments" with much interest as they always prove a source of mirth .....by the way it's actually called a Husqvarna....

I am so glad that I am not the only one who saw this coming.