possible PTO clutch issue...again

mowgli

Threads
About two months ago, the bearings in the electric clutch on my DLT2000 917.272246 were seized and it would always engage the blades even if the PTO switch was not on. I replaced the clutch then, and things worked fine for a while, though I did notice that something would squeal when first starting up the blades. Mowing yesterday though, the blades suddenly disengaged and would no longer engage when I turned the PTO switch off and on. I noticed that the clutch was extremely hot and I see sparks in there when the PTO switch is turned on.

I plan to take the deck down and look at the clutch again as well as examine the pulleys and belts to see if I can see anything amiss. If anyone has any thoughts on what might be good to look for, I would appreciate it very much. I'm bummed that I might need a new clutch and I am not really sure why they might be seizing up.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First was the replacement a new clutch or an used one.

Then make the anti rotation device is in place.

What is the voltage going to the clutch? Unplug and check voltage with engine running. But I suspect that the clutch electrical windings shorted out.

Personally I prefer to use Xtreme after market pto clutches. Even they don't like voltages about 15 vdc.

mowgli

Threads
First was the replacement a new clutch or an used one.

A new one - Gen 3 from 8Ten parts...
Then make the anti rotation device is in place.

I'll have to look that up. I installed according to the instructions and don't remember that.
What is the voltage going to the clutch? Unplug and check voltage with engine running. But I suspect that the clutch electrical windings shorted out.

Personally I prefer to use Xtreme after market pto clutches. Even they don't like voltages about 15 vdc.

I started it up today after it had had time to cool down ... I ran the engine and drove around a few minutes, then I switched the PTO on for just a second and the blades engaged, so perhaps its not entirely shot. I'll check the voltage tomorrow and have a look at the clutch.

Last edited: