Pony won't start

Me4ble

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a nine year old Pony and just a couple of weeks ago, my mower decided it would not start. The engine turns once or twice, then stops. It doesn't turn over. I replaced the spark plug and battery but no change. I cleaned the air filter and no change. I am not super knowledgable in small engine repair but want to try to fix this myself if at all possible. What should I do next?

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is your connections tight on the battery? Is the negative cable tight and clean where its grounded to on the frame?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will it spin over with the spark plug out?

Me4ble

Forum Newbie
Threads
That would be my first guess also.

Thanks - I will look tonight. Can you just tell me in what general part of the frame is it attached. (I will be looking in the dark with a flashlight since I have to go somewhere right after work today).

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It might help to wait till its day light out if your flash light is faulty. Look at your battery and you will see a +/ red and -/black where the cables are connected. Start on the -/black side and follow the cable till you get to the spot its fasten on the frame. Remove this cable and clean very well. A very good chance you will find that the cable where it is fasten to the battery on the +/red side is the trouble spot.

Me4ble

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok - so I cleaned where the battery cable connects to the frame. It was dirty. However, nothing changed.

When I took out the spark plug and turned the key the spark plug sparked and the engine spun like it wanted to start. However, when I disconnected the spark plug wire to re-insert the plug, the metal connector inside the rubber end broke off on the spark plug.

Now what?

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Time for a new coil if your talking about metal clip thats on the spark plug wire.