Pony Safety Switches....??!!??

bobpo

Threads
Thanks Lawnranger, I will do as instructed (this time) sometimes I don't read, or is it "comprehend" everything I read.

I don't think I used to be like that when I was younger...LOL :laughing:

Thanks again for your assistance, I appreciate it.....

jross

Threads
An engine that starts to crank, then stops, could need the valves adjusted to enable the compression release to function The fact that it kept getting worse through the mowing season would indicate valve wear.

bobpo

Threads
Lawnranger,

I checked voltages.The Solenoid has two Large Posts and One Small Wire. I first checked the voltage from the Battery side of the Solenoid to the Small Wire, with the Key in the Start Position. It showed 12.8 volts, same as the battery.

Then I checked Voltage from the Engine Side of the Solenoid with the Key in the Start Position, to the Small Wire on the Solenoid. Zero Voltage.

I also checked the Continuity from the Small Wire on the Solenoid to the Frame, GOOD. Then from the Battery side of the Solenoid to the Frame, GOOD. From the Engine side of the Solenoid to the Small Wire with the Key in Start Position. NOTHING.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do what LawnRanger says and get back to us. Can't help without good input. Remember we normally get to see what we are working on, now you have to be our eyes and hands.

bobpo

Threads
Before you try to bypass any safety switches, confirm by testing a few things first. Check battery voltage, should be 12.6V. Check if you have power to the small wire on the solenoid when you hold the key in the start position. Your solenoid may have two small wires, one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. You may need an assistant to help you while you make the check. Try jumping the two large wires on the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if the starter cranks the engine. These checks are simple to make and it will determine if you have a safety switch problem or a battery problem. There is a good possibility that a safety switch is defective but sometimes they are difficult to find and test. Report back with your findings and that will better help us determine where to go next.

Back to Base #1.

Well, there is No Voltage to the Small Wire on the Solenoid with the Ignition Switch in the "START" position. The Solenoid is grounded well however.

The Battery Voltage is reading 12.8V

bobpo

Threads
Do what LawnRanger says and get back to us. Can't help without good input. Remember we normally get to see what we are working on, now you have to be our eyes and hands.

Thanks for the assist Rivets.....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is that with the key switch turned to the start position? If the answer is YES, then you have either a safety switch issue or bad key switch.

bobpo

Threads
Rivets,

As I recall, I ran several tests on that Ignition/Key Switch when all this started and it seems to be in good working order. But then on the other hand, I don't know a lot about electrical wiring when it comes to any motorized piece of equipment. Car, Mower, ATV etc..

I might just replace it also while I'm at it, but I guess now I'll look for the Safety Switches....:confused2: :mad: :thumbdown:

bobpo

Threads
Rivets,

As I recall, I ran several tests on that Ignition/Key Switch when all this started and it seems to be in good working order. But then on the other hand, I don't know a lot about electrical wiring when it comes to any motorized piece of equipment. Car, Mower, ATV etc..

I might just replace it also while I'm at it, but I guess now I'll look for the Safety Switches....:confused2: :mad: :thumbdown:

Well, this is the Latest Update y'all asked for. I broke down and took the Pony to a repair shop

Problems;
1. Solenoid Bad (replaced)
2. Carb Needle and Seat, with gasket Bad. (Replaced.)
3. Mower Deck ran all the time. (now adjusted properly)
4. A little Gas in the Oil (Oil Changed)
5. Valve Adjustment off slightly (adjusted with a new gasket)

Now works great. Thanks for the input

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From your postings I would never have guessed that you had a bad solenoid. Would like to know why you had no voltage at the small terminal when you tried to start it? Any way it works that's the best news.